Close Preview Send To Printer…
Requisition Id: 1251
Salary: Starting salary commensurate with experience and education
Salary Grade: S10
Job Location: Conservation Headquarters (JEFFE1) – Hybrid remote work may be an option once the probation period is successfully completed.
Closing Date: January 25, 2022
To learn more about the job, feel free to contact the hiring supervisor- Timothy M Bixler at Tim.Bixler@mdc.mo.gov or at 573 5224115×3220.
Benefits Include: Paid vacation, sick leave and holidays, Health insurance, Flexible schedule, Employment development and training, Clothing allowance, State retirement plan, Employee Credit Union, Deferred compensation saving and investment plan, Tuition reimbursement, Cafeteria program, Paid life insurance, Paid accidental death and dismemberment insurance, Employee wellness and assistance programs, State Discounts.
The IT Database Administrator is responsible for maintaining and managing existing databases for the Department of Conservation statewide.
Essential Job Duties
• Consult with department personnel in the design and development of databases (primarily MS SQL Server).
• Direct data entry and quality control/manipulation of data in existing databases.
• Data Modeling, Query building, View/Function/Procedure Programming ability.
• Diagnose and troubleshoot database errors.
• Help design enterprise databases, data analytics and reporting platform architectures inclusive of business continuity, cyber security, tools, and related processes that is necessary for effective data management.
• Create extract, transfer, and load processes.
• Automate database tasks.
• Manage database access and backups.
• Performance tuning of database systems.
• Develop processes for optimizing database security.
• Create and manage database reports, visualizations, and dashboards.
• Collaborate across all areas of the Department to refine data sets and reporting needs; help apply data, analytics, business intelligence, and domain understanding to address new needs.
• Assist with the development of data policy, standards, and governance for the Department; develop and distribute best practices for data and reporting needs of Department staff.
• Research and implement tools and techniques to keep databases current and secure.
• Responsible for the design, implementation, configuration, maintenance, repair, and performance of the organization’s spatial and tabular MS SQL Server RDBMS systems, to ensure the availability and consistent performance of our business applications. The role includes the development and design of database strategies, monitoring and improving database performance and capacity, and planning for future expansion requirements. The role may also plan, coordinate, and implement database security measures.
• Act as a liaison between IT and the business units to identify, define and document project requirements.
• Use of Python scripts and SQL jobs to automate processes is desirable.
• Develop and/or update architecture documents, ETL documents, and ERDs.
• Plan effective strategic server and software upgrades that keep the Enterprise GIS and SQL Servers and databases functioning at a high degree.
Ancillary Job Duties
- Aid in the planning, development, and implementation of data and metadata standards and protocols for all Department Branches.
- Aid in the development and delivery of training courses related to database management systems and software.
- Stay current with trends in the information technology sector in general.
Education and Experience
- • Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Geographic Information Systems, Data Science, or related field.
- • At least four (4) years of progressively responsible professional experience or similar managing Enterprise level database platforms.
- A valid, current driver’s license.
- May need to work evenings and weekends.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of web-based applications using HTML, XML, and ASP written in any number of languages including python, Java Script, .net, and VBScript is desirable
- Understanding of records management, including data collection and analysis, metadata creation, and database maintenance.
- Understanding of computers, including use of Microsoft Office products and other productivity tools, analytics tools (SSRS, Tableau, etc.), ESRI products, and SQL Server is desirable.
- Strong reading, writing, speaking, mathematical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- Experience working with private and sensitive personal information
- Self-starter, excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to demonstrate good work habits including being dependable, efficient, and meeting deadlines.
- In depth knowledge of TSQL language
- Familiar with Redgate SQL Monitor
- Sound understanding of how the SQL engine works
- Ability to work in Microsoft SQL server in a network environment
- Ability to develop new insights into situations and apply innovative solutions that make data improvements
- Ability to keep focused on understanding, anticipating and responding to the needs of customers.
- Ability to administer financial resources in a manner which instills public trust and accomplishes the Department’s mission.
- Ability to accept change and new information and cope with extreme job pressure and stress.
- Ability to make independent decisions and act quickly and decisively on the determined course of action.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with partners, Department staff and the general public
- Ability to work effectively as a team member and assist in resolving conflicts.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with Department personnel and the general public.
- Be available for on-call support as needed
- Excellent multitasking skills and task management strategies
- Confident in decision making and the ability to explain processes or choices as needed
- Regularly work in a standard office environment.
- Remain stationary up to 70% of the time.
- Regularly communicate and exchange accurate information.
- Constantly operate a computer and other office productivity machinery.
- Clarity of vision at 20 inches or less.
- Regularly lift up to 5 pounds.
- Regular attendance is a necessary and essential function.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive; an employee will also perform other reasonably related job responsibilities as assigned by immediate supervisor and other management as required. The Missouri Department of Conservation reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment. Management reserves the right to change job descriptions, job duties, functions, and requirements.
Exemption Status/Special Notes
This position has been determined to be Exempt according to the Fair Labor Standards Act. Employees must agree to accept compensatory time in lieu of cash payments in accordance with the Department’s Compensatory Time Off and Overtime Policy.
MDC promotes a Tobacco-Free (smoke and smokeless) working environment.
The Department of Conservation will only hire United States citizens and aliens authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete an “Employment Eligibility Verification” (Form I-9) and produce requested documentation after employment.
Candidates seeking initial employment or re-employment must submit to a drug screen following offer of employment.
All persons employed with the state of Missouri shall file all state income tax forms and pay all state income taxes owed.