McGraw Hill, the leading provider of online learning products, is looking for a Data Scientist Intern to work remotely within our Advanced Analytics team. This team leverages current developments in artificial intelligence technologies and educational research to develop reusable, scalable, and extensible core capabilities which enhance student, instructor, administrator, and parental experiences and outcomes within our online platforms. As part of the larger Digital Platforms Group, the Advanced Analytics team supports award-winning digital platforms across K-12, Higher Education, International, and Professional segments, such as Reveal Math, Wonders, Connect, and Smartbook 2.0. If you are interested in contributing to the future of digital and remote learning, join us!
This role works hands-on with Data Scientists and Data Engineers to:
• Cleanse and wrangle multiple terabytes of student interaction data from our learning platforms
• Build ML models which learn from student behavior and influence learning outcomes
• Evaluate performance and improve those models
• Participate in both core and applied research.
We are looking for someone with:
• Current enrollment in (juniors or seniors) or completed BS program in Computer Science from an accredited college or university, with a Data Science, Cognitive Science, or AI concentration
• MS or PhD candidates in Computer Science are preferred
• Fluent (“off-book”) programming skills in Python and SQL are required (will be evaluated)
• Completed advanced coursework in at least two of the following areas: Machine Learning, Data Mining, Data Science, and/or Artificial Intelligence
• Hands-on experience with standard data science packages and methodologies (e.g. supervised and unsupervised learning, text classification, RNNs, etc.)
• Work experience as a software engineer, data engineer, or data scientist is a plus
• A desire to innovate in the adaptive learning/personalized digital learning space.
This is a summer internship with the possibility of renewal for Fall 2022.