ABOUT THE ROLE
Second Front Systems’ (2F) Analytics and Data Products Team (ADPT) is seeking data science, data engineering, cloud operations, and developer interns to support our team during the summer of 2022. Our summer 2021 intern built a machine learning classifier for screening companies that may be developing, or have, critical dual-use technologies that have application to national security issues. This included an end-to-end pipeline for data collection, storage, feature engineering, machine learning training, and inference. If this type of effort interests you, come join us! We are a fast-growing entrepreneurial team working at the convergence of technology and national security.
What You’ll Do
- Contribute to Second Front Systems’ data-driven ecosystem that fuels user confidence in decisions that accelerate technology transition for national defense
- In collaboration with ADPT team members, identify and lead a project that contributes to ADPT’s data, code, and analytic, suite to support Second Front’s C-suite, growth, research, marketing, and software product teams
- Work closely with ADPT Team members to build data pipelines, analytics, machine learning models, and generate insights from data to inform internal and external Second Front clients
- Produce and document code, reports, and other content
- Participate in shaping the work processes of a start-up in the early rounds of venture capital financing
- Collaborate on cross-team projects at the intersection of commercial technology and defense
- Bachelor student, graduate student, or equivalent relevant experience in data science, computer science, data analytics, or data visualization (We regularly hire different education levels)
- Python programming experience
- Skilled in framing a project plan, developing, testing, and documenting of data and analytic pipelines
- Familiar with the US defense apparatus, venture capital, and/or emerging commercial technologies
- Able to adapt to new projects and topics quickly in a fast-paced start-up environment
Your Preferred Qualifications
- Be team-oriented, respectful of team members, and mission-driven
- Familiarity with standard development practices
- Strong interest in matters of national security and building a small business
- Will strive to be both compassionate and direct with receiving and providing feedback
Application Requirements and Dates
- GitHub Profile, Personal Website, or Cover letter
- Optional: Code exemplars, GitHub account link, personal portfolio
- Application due April 15, 2022
- Interviews are conducted on a rolling basis throughout April with decision notifications sent out by May 1, 2022
Perks & Benefits
This internship is 40 hours/week for 10-12 weeks. We’re a fully remote company that works flexible hours and has teams across the globe. As a public benefit corporation, we’re a team of purpose-driven trailblazers seeking to make a positive impact on the future of U.S. national security. But don’t let our intense mission focus fool you–take one step into our virtual workplace and you’ll find memes and gifs galore. When joining our team, you’ll have access to company executives and experts from across the organization ranging from marketing, sales, customer success, research, data, software development and more.
ABOUT SECOND FRONT SYSTEMS
Second Front Systems (2F) is a public benefit, venture-backed software company that equips defense and national security professionals for long-term, continuous competition for access to emerging technologies. Our products help speed, simplify and strengthen the acquisition process by collecting and tailoring relevant company and technology data, reducing cyber and foreign influence risk, and streamlining cybersecurity and compliance accreditation.
Founded by three former Marines with firsthand experience of the dangers outdated technology poses in combat, our team is dedicated to fast-tracking government access to disruptive, commercially-proven technology for U.S. national security missions. We serve as a trusted advisor in the defense and national security sector by empowering the federal government to move at the speed of relevance without sacrificing security and to achieve a strategic advantage.
Headquartered in Arlington, Virginia, as well as having a bi-coastal and international presence, our distributed team spans across the world. We’re excited to welcome and bring on a variety of professionals looking to operate on the front lines of technological innovation. Visit our careers page to learn more about opportunities at Second Front Systems.