Job Posting Title:
Data Engineering Manager, Data to Insights Initiative
IQ – Information Quest
Position Open To:
Weekly Scheduled Hours:
Earliest Start Date:
Expected to Continue Until Dec 31, 2025
The Manager of Data Engineering improves university outcomes and advances the UT mission to transform lives for the benefit of society by increasing the usability and value of institutional data. The Manager of Data Engineering position is a hands-on management role, leading Data Engineers in support of the UT data ecosystem in Amazon Web Services (AWS). The Manager of Data Engineering devises optimal data pipeline solutions and leads staff in data pipeline development to meet university needs for high-performance data systems and ensures compliance with UT information security requirements. The Manager of Data Engineering leverages their creativity to solve complex problems and builds effective relationships through open communication.
The Data to Insights (D2I) Initiative at UT Austin is an investment to build a trusted, integrated, and scalable information infrastructure that transforms complex UT data into valued insights for data-informed decisions.
As a team member in the Data to Insights (D2I) Initiative, you will work with a cross-campus team using the latest cloud technologies to build a next-generation data ecosystem that will improve decision-making and advance the university’s mission. We believe the best ideas arise from collaborative work among colleagues from varied backgrounds and experiences. We actively seek diversity of viewpoint and perception in our student, faculty, and staff recruiting and retention practices. If you’re the type of person who loves to learn and wants to know your work has meaning, you may find your career home at UT Austin. Please note that this position is currently funded through December 31, 2025
The University of Texas at Austin provides an outstanding benefits package to staff, including:
- Competitive health benefits (Employee premiums covered at 100%; family premiums at 50%)
- Vision, dental, life, and disability insurance options
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays
- Teachers Retirement System of Texas (a defined benefit retirement plan)
- Additional voluntary retirement programs: tax sheltered annuity 403(b) and a deferred compensation program 457(b)
- Flexible spending account options for medical and childcare expenses
- Training and conference opportunities
- Tuition assistance
- Athletic ticket discounts
- Access to UT Austin’s libraries and museums
- Free rides on all UT Shuttle and Capital Metro buses with staff ID card
This position requires you to maintain internet service and a mobile phone with voice and data plans to be used when required for work.
This position provides life/work balance with typically a 40-hour work week and travel generally limited to training (e.g., conferences/courses).
Data Engineer Team Management:
- Devise and manage the Data Engineer team work effort in alignment with business objectives and lead Data Engineer Agile project planning. Create effective project plans that set clear milestones and timelines for complex technical solutions.
- Communicate status of activities and findings through verbal, written, and/or visual reporting. Devise and measure KPIs and other relevant metrics for team success.
- Lead all people management activities including staffing, career growth, performance review, and team morale to optimize staff retention and team engagement.
- Work closely with business partners to devise and manage data pipeline requirements, load frequency, data delivery mechanisms.
- Design and implement projects to migrate legacy, on-premise services to new cloud environment.
- Design, develop, and automate scalable data engineering solutions by leveraging cloud infrastructure. Extend or migrate existing data pipelines to new cloud environment.
- Devise and manage data pipeline monitoring and incident response procedures to ensure high reliability of mission-critical data pipelines
- Identify and implement best practices for data engineering and software development to ensure quality delivery of enterprise solutions.
- Lead code reviews, quality assurance, and performance tuning for data pipelines.
- Develop and maintain detailed technical documentation of data engineering solutions.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders, both internal and external, including enterprise data architect, data modelers, and subject matter experts (SMEs).
- Lead Data Engineering team in change management processes to coordinate and communicate team activity.
- Other related functions as assigned
BS degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent professional experience. Demonstrated success in leading teams of Data Engineers in complex IT environments, planning team work effort, and activating team engagement and productivity. Three years of Data Engineering experience with Amazon Web Services. Three years of experience implementing and monitoring complex data pipelines and automation of cloud-based workloads. Proficiency in one or more scripting languages and/or programming languages, preferably Python. Three years of experience leading teams in all aspects of the software development cycle (SDLC) Demonstrated experience of developing and operating Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) systems. Proficiency in systems analysis, design, and a solid grasp of development, quality assurance, and integration methodologies. Relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.
Relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.
Bachelor’s degree with five years of experience in data engineer management or related. Two years of experience working in a cloud-based data warehouse environment. Five years of experience building and monitoring complex data pipelines. Five years of experience leading teams in all aspects of the software development cycle (SDLC). AWS Developer and/or Solutions Architect certification. Knowledge of Agile software development methodologies. Experience with issue tracking systems (JIRA).
$114,336 + depending on qualifications
- May work around standard office conditions
- Repetitive use of a keyboard at a workstation
- Use of manual dexterity
- Location up to 100% remote at employee discretion with office work environment also an option. Majority of team is located in Austin, TX, and working remotely with infrequent in-office presence.
- 3 work references with their contact information; at least one reference should be from a supervisor
- Letter of interest
Important for applicants who are NOT current university employees or contingent workers: You will be prompted to submit your resume the first time you apply, then you will be provided an option to upload a new Resume for subsequent applications. Any additional Required Materials (letter of interest, references, etc.) will be uploaded in the Application Questions section; you will be able to multi-select additional files. Before submitting your online job application, ensure that ALL Required Materials have been uploaded. Once your job application has been submitted, you cannot make changes.
Important for Current university employees and contingent workers: As a current university employee or contingent worker, you MUST apply within Workday by searching for Find UT Jobs. If you are a current University employee, log-in to Workday, navigate to your Worker Profile, click the Career link in the left hand navigation menu and then update the sections in your Professional Profile before you apply. This information will be pulled in to your application. The application is one page and you will be prompted to upload your resume. In addition, you must respond to the application questions presented to upload any additional Required Materials (letter of interest, references, etc.) that were noted above.
Regular staff who have been employed in their current position for the last six continuous months are eligible for openings being recruited for through University-Wide or Open Recruiting, to include both promotional opportunities and lateral transfers. Staff who are promotion/transfer eligible may apply for positions without supervisor approval.
Retirement Plan Eligibility:
The retirement plan for this position is Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS), subject to the position being at least 20 hours per week and at least 135 days in length.
A criminal history background check will be required for finalist(s) under consideration for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
The University of Texas at Austin will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
Employment Eligibility Verification:
The University of Texas at Austin use E-Verify to check the work authorization of all new hires effective May 2015. The university’s company ID number for purposes of E-Verify is 854197. For more information about E-Verify, please see the following: