View job on Handshake
We reach more than 40 million people monthly during moments when they are most in need of expert advice and motivated to act on that advice directly on our platforms. Our signature franchises include our “Best” series of consumer guides on colleges, graduate schools, hospitals, diets, cars, financial services and more. These guides provide an easy-to-digest list for consumers to better understand and compare when making their decisions. We continue to publish annual guides of the authoritative Best Colleges and Best Hospitals rankings on our website and in print. And our U.S. News Live flagship conferences highlight important national conversations including Healthcare of Tomorrow and Healthiest Communities.
Your role in helping us shape the future:
As a member of the U.S. News Money team, you will be involved in supporting the Money product team to help drive the future of our business; you will be a key member of a fast-growing organization that is goal-oriented and re-shaping our future.
The primary responsibilities of the Data Analyst will be to ensure rankings data quality in a timely manner.
Are you up to the challenge?
- Collect and analyze data for Money rankings, including fielding surveys
- Develop expertise in ranking methodologies and data sources
- Develop quality assurance procedures for data collected internally and from third party sources; ensuring accuracy of rankings computations and information displayed on usnews.com
- Coordinate closely with U.S. News technical team on the development efforts related to rankings launches; providing detailed written specs, assisting in troubleshooting bugs, and testing the accuracy of data loads
- Analysis tasks may include computing scores on ranking factors, modeling impact of potential methodology changes, performing multiple regression analyses, testing for statistical outliers and producing data visualizations
- Meet specific project deadlines and timelines set by the product management and tech teams
- Provide editorial and PR team with data used in articles, short lists, and slideshows as well as assist in the review process prior to publication
- Recommend new methodologies and product features based upon data analysis
- On-going data and product QA, with detailed-oriented eye for errors / bugs
- Provide performance analysis support as requested
You should definitely have:
- Bachelor’s degree in data science or a related field or equivalent experience
- 3+ years relevant work experience
- High level proficiency working in MS Office Suite, specifically in Excel
- Knowledge of database structures and experience writing SQL select statements to query databases
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excelled in college-level quantitative coursework (economics, math, statistics or computer science)
- Attention to detail, excellent organizational skills and strong time management skills
It would be nice if you had:
- Experience in JIRA
- Up-to-date knowledge on Internet publishing and metrics, with an acute understanding of SEO, is a plus
What it’s like to work with us:
Talent is our best asset!
We invest in people with passion and potential who understand U.S. News’ dedication to our consumers.
- Entrepreneurial, mission-driven culture with core values of quality and integrity
- Focus on fostering personal and professional growth
- Competitive benefits including paid vacation time, medical, tuition reimbursement, and training
- Collaborative Work Environment ~ Fun, diverse, inclusive and ambitious co-workers
Other Job Info:
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.