Deep in the North Woods of Minnesota, Concordia Language Villages creates a place that is both culturally authentic and uniquely our own. In the Language Villages, everything from the music played to the dishes used in the dining hall reflect the culture each was designed to represent. We are a community of educators from all corners of the globe, passionate about learning every minute of the day. Everyone—from Ph.D-level instructors with years of language-teaching experience, to former villagers returning as counselors for the first time—brings a unique expertise in language and culture.
Primary responsibilities include being a member of highly effective team which researches and creates recipes and menus that produce culturally authentic and culturally immersive food, sometimes leading a team, and continuing on a path of continuous professional growth.
1. Support the mission and vision of Concordia College and Concordia Language Villages and demonstrate the competencies as defined for this position.
2. Menu/Recipe Development and Curriculum Support
• Coordinate with language communities to research and create culturally authentic menus for the assigned language group that align with the curricular goals of programs.
• Research and develop recipes that support the designed menus.
• Plan these menus and recipes within budgetary constraints.
• Maintain menu and recipe information for future use.
3. Provide Team Support through Staff Supervision
• Participate in recruiting and hiring team members.
• Supervise daily work of team members.
• Document and take action to correct job related behavior that does not meet communicated performance standards.
• Ensure compliance with safety standards, and Minnesota Food Code requirements.
4. Providing Team Support through Food Production
• Prepare, cook, serve and clean up culturally authentic meals.
• Anticipate daily thawing needs.
• Anticipate and correct possible food shortages.
• Maintain food quality, safety and sanitation standards.
• Manage food waste.
• Ensure an organized and clean food service work area maintained to Minnesota Food Code and Concordia Language Villages standards of cleanliness and sanitation.
• Ensure environmental practices are followed in kitchen work areas.
5. Provide Team Support through Staff Development and Training
• Coordinate and implement a Personal Professional Development Plan in conjunction with Administration and Language Groups, which includes certifications in the Culinary Arts and/or Education fields.
• Assist with the implementation of training workshops and sessions for all Culinary Arts Department members.
High School Diploma or GED, 1 to 2 years’ experience in a related field, Must be able to read and write, Able to work a varied schedule including early mornings, evenings and weekends as necessary.
Quantity cooking experience, Menu planning and ordering experience, Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science Degree (4 year degree), Culinary Degree, Food Industry certifications
Concordia College will not discriminate against or harass any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, creed, sex, religion, national origin, age, veteran’s status, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, familial status, public assistance status, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, or any other legally protected status.
Questions? Contact Warren, email@example.com.