J.P. Morgan’s Commodities Research team is seeking a highly motivated candidate for a US Upstream Oil Market Strategist position at the Associate level to support the Head of Global Oil Research. The candidate must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, analytical skills, demonstrated leadership, interpersonal and relationship management skills, a focus on results, the ability to clearly articulate complex ideas, and creative problem solving abilities. The Commodities Research team is part of the Global Research organization within the Corporate and Investment Bank and is responsible for delivering global integrated views on commodity markets across multiple disciplines. The ideal candidate possesses excellent analytical, modeling, business writing and communication skills and values collegial teamwork. This is a client facing role and requires some regional and international travel, as well as frequent interaction with internal sales and trading teams across the globe.
Day-to-day responsibilities include modeling of US upstream supply and US balances, processing and providing analytical assessment of market events, data flow, and news primarily focused on the US. Additionally, integration of the US supply and balance view with the global crude model is essential in developing a market view that is objective, integrated and data-driven. Responsibilities also include working on investor seminars and conferences as well as engaging our social media and communications teams to leverage the research platform. We are seeking candidates with a strong desire to work in research with an interest in policy and must demonstrate a basic understanding of financial markets and proven proficiency/intermediate level with MS Excel, Word, and PowerPoint. Python or other coding skills is a plus and experience within the commodities complex is preferred.
- Modeling US Upstream supply and US oil balances
- Building new analytical frameworks (supply/demand, econometric, etc.) where necessary and maintain/update/improve existing frameworks
- Coverage of sector topics related to supply: corporate strategies, business environment, M&A deals, economics and government energy policy
- Production of high-frequency written research meeting publication deadlines
- Working collaboratively with other members of the energy and commodities research team to prepare weekly, monthly, quarterly flagship publications and other ad hoc research reports
- Presenting published views to internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment and respond rapidly to market events and news while meeting deadlines in a dynamic environment
- Prepared to work flexible hours to meet tight deadlines
- Possess 2-5 years of experience in analyzing supply and demand balances for the US oil market or other related experience at an energy/industrial company or research organization
- Excellent written and communication skills are essential with the ability to produce impactful analysis under tight deadlines
- Advanced analytical and modeling skills. Python or other coding skills is a plus
- Ability to customize research views to a diverse range of external and internal clients (traders, sales professionals, policymakers)
- Ability to work in a fast-paced work environment that requires fast response to market-breaking events
- Added knowledge in the global gas, coal and power markets is a plus
- Minimum education of undergraduate degree, preferably in engineering, geosciences, economics, mathematics or finance. A master’s degree is preferred but not required
- Willingness to travel as needed for work-related and investor events
- The position is NY-based
JPMorgan Chase & Co., one of the oldest financial institutions, offers innovative financial solutions to millions of consumers, small businesses and many of the world’s most prominent corporate, institutional and government clients under the J.P. Morgan and Chase brands. Our history spans over 200 years and today we are a leader in investment banking, consumer and small business banking, commercial banking, financial transaction processing and asset management.
We recognize that our people are our strength and the diverse talents they bring to our global workforce are directly linked to our success. We are an equal opportunity employer and place a high value on diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants’ and employees’ religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.
The health and safety of our colleagues, candidates, clients and communities has been a top priority in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. JPMorgan Chase was awarded the “WELL Health-Safety Rating” for all of our 6,200 locations globally based on our operational policies, maintenance protocols, stakeholder engagement and emergency plans to address a post-COVID-19 environment.
As a part of our commitment to health and safety, we have implemented various COVID-related health and safety requirements for our workforce. Employees are expected to follow the Firm’s current COVID-19 or other infectious disease health and safety requirements, including local requirements. Requirements include sharing information including your vaccine card in the firm’s vaccine record tool, and may include mask wearing. Requirements may change in the future with the evolving public health landscape. JPMorgan Chase will consider accommodation requests as required by applicable law.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veterans
About the Team
The Corporate & Investment Bank is a global leader across investment banking, wholesale payments, markets and securities services. The world’s most important corporations, governments and institutions entrust us with their business in more than 100 countries. We provide strategic advice, raise capital, manage risk and extend liquidity in markets around the world.
Clients turn to our industry-leading Markets, Sales and Research team to offer clients unique market insights on sectors and companies, and actionable ideas using research to make well-informed investment decisions. Teams understand products across asset classes and help clients structure solutions that manage risk, enhance yield and solve complex financial problems.