The Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement (CIRCLE) is a research-based think tank that studies how young people in the United States learn to become active participants in our democracy. CIRCLE is looking for a graduate student or data science contractor to support our media-related research in the short-term. This position is remote.
We focus on the circumstances and institutions through which communities can engage more and more diverse young people to build civic skills, knowledge, agency and a commitment to a just society. We are using CIRCLE’s social science approach (of integrating effective developmental practices into the context of systemic supports) and a plethora of avenues of inquiry to provide more research about the role of media on youth civic engagement.
As a part of this work, we are building a theory-driven dataset of media conditions that would influence youth civic engagement by U.S. geographies. We are in need of a collaborator who can scrape data from digital platforms, create code to search large federal datasets, convert into desired indicators, and merge into one dataset for analysis.
- Create a county-by-county indicator for the % of nonprofits in each county that are youth serving, using the most updated data from the National Center for Charitable Statistics
- Create a county-by-county indicator for the % of nonprofits in each county that create media or news, using the most updated data from the National Center for Charitable Statistics
- Create a county-by-county indicator for the % of nonprofits in each county that have one of the following keywords in their mission statement (“civic participation”, “political participation”, social change, media literacy, misinformation, disinformation, media creation, journalism), using data scraping of submitted IRS 990 forms
- Create a county-by-county indicator for the # of users per capita or measure of content per capita using web scraping of Reddit/using their API
- Create a county-by-county indicator for the # of users per capita or measure of content per capita using web scraping of Twitter
- Create a county-by-county aggregate indicator of the # of news outlets using city and state-based data we have acquired
- Merge the above and 11 other data indicators into two clean dataset files to be analyzed in R and SPSS, likely using FIPS codes to guide,
- Complete additional data cleaning tasks, as needed
- Experience in data sourcing technologies, e.g. web scraping and quantitative text analysis with NLP,
- Understanding of and interest in use of geospatial data and GIS tools,
- Experience with transforming geo-coded data into aggregate geographic indicators,
- Proficiency in merging, cleaning, coding and managing quantitative data,
- Ability to communicate in a timely and professional manner,
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and partners from varied backgrounds and to interact with practitioners of diverse backgrounds, views, and positions,
- Ability and willingness to work independently and in a team.
Because of CIRCLE’s explicit focus on improving civic education and engagement for young people of color and other underserved youth, and because of Tisch College and Tufts University’s foundational commitments to diversity and inclusion, candidates with diverse backgrounds and experiences are especially encouraged to apply.
The Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement (CIRCLE) is a research-based think tank that studies how young people in the United States learn to become active participants in our democracy. CIRCLE studies a broad range of topics, from K-12 civic education, youth organizing, youth and civic media, to community characteristics that promote civic development. The central focus of its work is on expanding access to civic learning and engagement opportunities, especially for marginalized youth.
The Jonathan M. Tisch College of Civic Life prepares students in all fields of study for lifetimes of active citizenship. Tisch College promotes new knowledge in the field and applies this knowledge to evidence-based practice in programs, community partnerships, and advocacy efforts. Central to the university’s mission, the college offers Tufts’ students opportunities to engage in meaningful community building, civic and political experiences, and explore commitments to civic participation.