View job on Handshake
Guy Carpenter LLC’s Global Strategic Advisory group is seeking talented and motivated individuals to join our team of Catastrophe Advisors. Opportunities exist in New York, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Chicago, Edina, Dallas, Seattle, San Francisco and potentially others.
What can you expect?
- You will join a team of Catastrophe Advisors that use engineering and economic research to determine the impact various hazard scenarios (e.g., earthquake, flood, wildfire, hurricane, etc.) will have on insurance companies’ property damage and resulting financial loss.
- You will get to work alongside our top-tier professionals, acting as a client advisor in areas such as catastrophe risk management, underwriting support, live event impacts, and reinsurance decision-making.
- You will be responsible for managing catastrophe modeling projects from beginning to end and will have the opportunity to advise a diverse group of clients and contribute to a wide range of innovative internal initiatives.
What is in it for you?
- Join an outstanding professional services firm with more than 150 years of history – we are 76,000 colleagues in four global businesses united by a common purpose to make a difference in the moments that matter
- Culture of internal mobility, collaboration and strong partnerships across the business
- Competitive pay, full benefits package – starting day one (medical, dental, vision, STD/LTD, life insurance, generous 401k match AND automatic contribution)
- Generous Parental Leave and Tuition Reimbursement plan per year and participation in our Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Generous paid time off for vacation, sick, company holidays and time to give back to your community
- Colleague Resource Groups, which provide access to leaders, relevant volunteer and mentoring opportunities, and interactions with counterparts in industry groups and client organizations
We will count on you to:
- Organize client data, check data for reasonability, load data into predictive models, run the models, share insights with senior colleagues, and compile coherent and compelling narratives to help clients understand their degree of risk
- Perform basic calculations and draw conclusions from client data to assess a range of modeled outcomes for clients in support of reinsurance transaction process
- Conduct research on industry/regulatory developments that affect loss liabilities to determine the impact on clients
- Keep teams updated on industry-specific and specialty related trends that may affect reinsurance programs/calculations
- Develop knowledge in certain region-based or peril-based areas of catastrophe risk management services through research or experience in order to advance professionally and gain recognition as an expert in the industry
- Take part in or lead internal initiatives, offering ideas and feedback to improve outcomes as well as to help develop Guy Carpenter’s thought leadership and industry expertise.
What you need to have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a quantitative or natural sciences field such as applied mathematics, statistics, engineering, operations research, finance, economics, data science, computer science, meteorology, or a demonstrated ability to learn new software and analytical concepts quickly. Strong academic record in major and work experience is more important than the field of study.
- Curious and proactive mindset: desire and ability to lead internal initiatives and research projects to completion
- Robust data management skills: ability to manipulate, interpret, and extrapolate complex data
- Superior communication and presentation skills: an ability to translate complex technical analysis and concepts into easily understandable terms for brokers and clients
- Strong analytical, problem-solving skills and attention to detail with financial aptitude
- A collaborative, team-oriented mindset and effective interpersonal skills
- Solid computer skills including Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and basic coding in any language
What makes you stand out, possibly through an internship:
- Experience in the insurance industry at an insurance company, reinsurance broker, reinsurer, or catastrophe model software vendor
- Experience using Microsoft SQL, Alteryx or Power BI
- Scientific background in meteorology and/or seismology
- An understanding of the insurance/reinsurance industry and product lines
- Technical expertise working with AIR and RMS catastrophe models