View job on Handshake
Paramount Global (NASDAQ: PARA, PARAA) is a leading global media and entertainment company that creates premium content and experiences for audiences worldwide. Driven by iconic studios, networks and streaming services, Paramount’s portfolio of consumer brands includes CBS, Showtime Networks, Paramount Pictures, Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, BET, Paramount+, Pluto TV and Simon & Schuster, among others. Paramount delivers the largest share of the U.S. television audience and boasts one of the industry’s most important and extensive libraries of TV and film titles. In addition to offering innovative streaming services and digital video products, the company provides powerful capabilities in production, distribution and advertising solutions.
Are you intrigued by the ever-evolving business side of the entertainment industry? Are you a go-to legal expert by day and a reality TV binger by night? If these questions spark your interest – read on!
We are seeking law school graduates with 2-3 years of work experience to join our Business and Legal Affairs (BALA) team in an exciting rotational role with direct exposure to some of the top entertainment lawyers in the industry! The contracts you help negotiate and deals you work on will shape and influence our content. If playing a vital role working on important legal matters in an upbeat and vibrant industry sounds appealing, then the Paramount BALA Fellowship could be the perfect next step for your career.
- Handle a heavy volume of development and production responsibilities (e.g. drafting agreements) across various platforms, relating to both network and studio businesses and the production of original programming both “in-house” and through third party production companies.
- Support branded joint promotions with advertisers and sponsors, integrated marketing productions, interstitial programming, live events, and on-air series promotional announcements.
- Advise production clients on a wide range of issues in the broadcast and digital realms, including copyright, trademarks, defamation, privacy, and right of publicity.
- Review scripts, episodes, and other related materials to identify legal issues.
- Investigate and respond to production-related claims.
- Partner day-to-day with our in-house lawyers to provide practical, strategic advice and legal counsel to business clients regarding risk management and legal implications of proposed business opportunities and actions.
- Cultivate relationships and maintain channels of communication with key internal BALA partners in technical areas including rights and clearances, music strategy, risk management, trademarks, unions and guilds, and litigation.
- Full time staff position for two years, which includes competitive annual salary and benefits.
- Two 12-month rotations to aid in a full understanding of entertainment law.
- Professional development opportunities, formal mentorship, training sessions, and networking across the organization.
- Applicants must be barred in NY, CA, or be qualified to apply for registered-in-house counsel in either NY or CA.
- Must have 2-3 years of legal experience, post law school (this does not include internships).
- Proper work authorization to be employed within the United States for the full length of the program (July 2022-July 2024).
- Passionate about working in media & entertainment
- Experience working within the industry is a plus.
- Excellent drafting and negotiation skills. Heavy drafting will be required for this role.
- Interest and knowledge in digital, tech, or new platforms a plus.
- Strong communication skills – both written and verbal.
- Results-oriented with ability to balance multiple assignments at a time in a fast-paced environment to achieve desired results and operate independently with minimal supervision and work long hours as necessary.
- Ability to build positive client relationships at all levels of the business and advise clients in an ever-evolving corporate environment.
- Collaborative, team-oriented approach.
Paramount is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) including disability/vet.
At Paramount, the spirit of inclusion feeds into everything that we do, on-screen and off. From the programming and movies we create to employee benefits/programs and social impact outreach initiatives, we believe that opportunity, access, resources and rewards should be available to and for the benefit of all. Paramount is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, creed, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, and Veteran status.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access. https://www.paramount.com/careers as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by calling 212.846.5500 or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only messages left for this purpose will be returned.
Paramount believes in creating environments that allow our primary focus to remain on providing entertainment, education and information to our millions of viewers around the world. As part of this commitment to health and safety, Paramount requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees, subject to applicable law. Union employees are subject to the agreement reached between the Company and the applicable Uniion.