View job on Handshake
Beckon Ice Cream Research & Development Intern – Remote
For Academic Credit
Beckon is looking for an energetic, creative and enthusiastic summer intern to help innovate the next best ice cream flavors and offerings! As a small team there is a lot of opportunity for all team members to gain broad and varied experience, taking areas of interest into consideration. We all wear many hats and have an all-hands-on deck mentality. This position will be remote.
This position would report to the Supply Chain Manager, Samantha McNulty and co-founder of Beckon, Katy Flannery. Beckon HQ is located Allston, right next to the Boston Landing Commuter Rail stop. Our company values hard work, respect, passion, proactivity and friendship. Since the company started with friendship (Gwen and Katy began as college friends), having fun and taking time to do things as a team is an important part of our culture.
Beckon is the first premium, lactose free ice cream that is still made from real dairy! It is made with all the same ingredients as traditional premium ice cream and we add the lactase enzyme to eliminate the lactose. We have a values-based sourcing philosophy and our mission is to show lactose-free consumers that living lactose-free doesn’t have to mean living dairy-free or compromising with substitutes. Beckon has been featured on BostonMagazine.com, Chronicle, Thrillist, and more. Beckon also won the 2018 New England Business Association Innovation Award in the Rising Star category.
- Learn about the ice cream industry, food manufacturing and new product planning at Beckon
- Brainstorm new flavors and offerings
- Source ingredients, materials, and services for innovations and current offerings that fit Beckon’s quality standards and COGS parameters
- Help place orders for raw materials and forecast future needs
- Create a final presentation and report on findings
- Create and execute an individual summer long project that will help grow Beckon and leave a lasting impact on a small business
- Work on many different things – we’re a small team and no one day is the same
- Work cross-functionally with Beckon leadership and peers
- If applicant is based in the New England area, opportunities may arise for a visit to Beckon’s ice cream production facility
- LOVE OF FOOD AND ICE CREAM
- Passionate about building brands, nutrition, and changing food for the better
- Cheerful, positive, proactive attitude is an absolute MUST!
- Love of interacting with people/customers and providing the best ice cream experience to all
- Superb communication skills and an abundance of enthusiasm
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to multitask efficiently
- Basic understanding of Microsoft Excel & Powerpoint
- Must be able to receive college credit
- Currently enrolled in a supply chain, operations, food science, culinary, or food program management courses
- Has an interest in learning more about working for a CPG company and ice cream specifically
- Mondays to Thursdays starting Wednesday June 1st through Thursday August 4th
- Mandatory availability on these dates:
- Orientation: Wednesday June 1st & Thursday June 2nd
- Final Project Presentations and Send-Off: Monday August 1st – Thursday August 4th
- ICE CREAM!!!
- Welcome package with Beckon swag and other surprises
- Weekly Lunch and Learns with Founders, Foodie Friends, and other food industry veterans
- A fun, energetic remote work environment complete with resident Beckon Barkers Ruthie & Lando (see our insta @beckonicecream to see how adorable they are)
- Learn about start-up life from a fast growing ice cream company
- Weekly entrepreneurial podcast discussions
- Monthly intern remote social gatherings (i.e. ice cream tasting, team trivia, escape room, etc.)
- Create and execute an individual summer long project that will help grow Beckon
- Throughout the summer the Beckon team will serve as advisors that you can schedule 1×1 with to help assist and mentor