The Atlantic Council seeks a talented, dynamic and entrepreneurial individual for a full-time Associate Director position to serve in its Global Energy Center.
The Associate Director’s main responsibilities will include support and coordination of the Global Energy Center’s growing work on climate and energy policy, with a special focus on ensuring the Center’s work is relevant to the US Congress This includes research, writing, administrative, and logistical execution of the Center’s regular events and ambitious programming agenda, coordinating Congressional briefings, ensuring all pertinent Center work reaches Congressional offices, and the development of new bodies of work and independently-led research and projects to establish the Global Energy Center’s thought leadership on energy issues in the US and abroad.
The successful candidate will have an entrepreneurial spirit, superb communication skills, and enjoy the complexity of helping to build a rapidly growing program. The candidate should have a background in energy and environmental studies, political science, international relations, economics, history, area studies, or a related field and will have worked in a US Congressional office. The position requires excellent administrative and communication skills, superior writing ability, extraordinary attention to detail, and a proven aptitude to make sound judgments, assume responsibility and work independently in a fast-paced Center with tight deadlines and competing priorities.
The successful candidate for this position will be committed to the Atlantic Council’s core mission to renew the Atlantic community for global challenges and Global Energy Center’s commitment to help the United States and its partners take the lead in navigating the challenges of the changing global energy landscape. This position will be located in Washington, DC. The Atlantic Council seeks applicants with diverse backgrounds and offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience.
- Coordinate and execute projects across the Global Energy Center’s various bodies of substantive work, including but not limited to:
- High-level workshops and events
- Written reports and publications
- Briefing and Research Assignments
- Lead Center engagement with US Congress
- Coordinate Congressional briefings on Center research
- Ensure Center publications reach Congressional offices
- Support Managing Editor in shaping pertinent research projects to be Congressionally relevant
- Coordinate and execute the Global Energy Center’s Veterans Advanced Energy Project, including the Veterans Advanced Energy Fellowship and annual Veterans Advanced Energy Summit.
- Liaise with the Global Energy Center Leadership to develop and steward partnerships with a range of external policy, corporate, and foundational stakeholders.
- In coordination with Global Energy Center Leadership, build and execute new energy programs and projects, and identify and pursue new stakeholders and potential donors.
- As needed for the GEC’s programming, coordinate travel arrangements; draft agendas and speaker invitations; manage key outreach lists; and help to prepare briefing material for guests coming to Washington and for Global Energy Center trips abroad.
- Lead independent research initiatives related to the Global Energy Center’s programming to support the GEC’s thought leadership on energy issues policy.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, in energy and environmental studies, political science, international relations, economics, history, area studies, or other relevant fields.
- Professional experience in a US Congressional office.
- Superb organizational skills, attention to detail, and demonstrated initiative.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including an ability to work well in a team and to communicate effectively with others ranging from interns to government and business leaders in the United States and abroad.
- Interest in geopolitics, energy policy, energy security, and climate policy.
- Experience in organizing and staging events is highly desired.
- Superior English language writing skills and analytical ability. Foreign language proficiency preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel; photo-editing, web-editing, and social media skills are highly desired.