View job on Handshake
The Sterling Group is seeking a undergraduate student intern projected to graduate in 2023 to join our commercial diligence and strategy team for summer 2022. Must be available for 10 weeks from June to August.
The Sterling Group is an operationally focused middle market private equity firm focused on the industrial sector. Founded in 1982, Sterling is one of the longest standing private equity firms in North America. Today, the firm has over $4.0 billion in assets under management. Over 75% of Sterling’s returns have been driven by organic EBITDA growth, a result of Sterling’s operational investing style. Sterling’s investor base is comprised by some of the largest and most respected global institutional investors.
The Analyst, Commercial Diligence and Strategy Intern will be responsible for supporting commercial diligence and strategy work, including evaluating: market growth, competitive landscape, supplier dynamics, etc. In addition, this role will support in theme development and exit preparation (for existing portfolio companies).
Our program is designed to give intellectually curious and self-motivated Analysts a well-rounded internship at a successful middle market private equity firm.
Qualifications include being enrolled in a top-tier university pursuing a bachelor’s degree projected to graduate in 2023, top academic performer and a quick learner capable of performing in an unstructured and fast paced environment.
The primary skills needed to be successful in this position are:
- The ability to understand market dynamics, competitive landscape, supplier dynamics, etc. in the market in which a business competes
- The ability to synthesize and analyze data using Excel and other analytical tools – including building market models
Communication skills including:
- The ability to quickly summarize the merits of a potential transaction in both written and verbal form.
- The ability to interact with management teams, financing sources and service providers to analyze and execute transactions.
Coordination skills including:
- Taking responsibility for the administrative details related to commercial diligence activities (e.g., industry expert calls, surveys, market modeling, etc.).