View job on Handshake
At IBM, work is more than a job – it’s a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you’ve never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world’s most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
Start and end dates for this Internship are during Summer 2022 (3 months).At IBM Research, we invent things that matter to the world. Today, we are pioneering the most promising and disruptive technologies that will transform industries and society, including the future of AI, Cloud and Quantum Computing. We are driven to discover. With more than 3,000 researchers in 12 labs located across six continents, IBM Research is one of the world’s largest and most influential corporate research labs.
We are seeking highly motivated students with a background in computer science, artificial intelligence, applied mathematics or equivalent areas. Candidates currently enrolled in graduate programs are encouraged to apply. You will work in close collaboration with other researchers on projects addressing challenges related to social and civic issues in some key domains, including – health, environment, education, economic development, employment, and criminal justice.
You desire to work in a fast-paced research environment in close collaboration with world-class researchers, software engineers, and designers to create and maintain applications and infrastructure in support of our research agenda. You excel at verbal and written communications. You will deliver production-level code to support the implementation of our research assets.to drive impact in communities, addressing society’s racial and social challenges.
Candidates should have basic knowledge in one or more of the following skills:
- Software engineering practices including agile techniques
- Building cloud applications using APIs and services
- System building/debugging/testing skills
- Machine learning techniques and machine learning toolkits such as R, scikit-learn, Theano, Caffe, PyTorch
- Programming on GPUs
- Scale-out programming (e.g. MPI)
Candidates must be willing to work in any of the following locations: Almaden, CA; Cambridge, MA; Yorktown Heights, NY.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Demonstrated interest in racial or social-justice oriented topics and applications.
- Strong problem-solving and reasoning skills
- Advanced knowledge of software engineering practices including agile processes
- Experience solving analytical problems using rigorous and quantitative approaches
- Proven research experience through publication in technical communities such as NeurIPS, ICML, ICLR, IJCAI, ACL, AAAI, KDD, CHI, IUI, CSCW, or similar.
- Experience analyzing large-scale data from a variety of sources
- Design, validation, and characterization of algorithms and/or systems
- Cloud-native development and toolkits such as Docker, Kubernetes, and OpenShift
- Experience in front and back-end web application development and frameworks such as HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, Carbon, React, Flask, Node.js, etc.
- Backend storage technologies such as SQL and NoSQL databases such as Postgres, MongoDB, Cloudant, ElasticSearch, etc.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Advanced usage of machine learning environments (e.g., R, Scikit-learn, Theano, PyTorch, Tensorflow etc.)
- Advanced experience in Data Analytics and Processing Pipelines, including Data Mining/Automated Knowledge Acquisition, Representation & Reasoning.
- Advanced experience in characterization and validation of cognitive systems via user-centric studies and design.