View job on Handshake
Astute Equity Group- Venture Capital Analyst
What we’re looking for:
Outstanding Venture Capital Analyst with the relevant and appropriate background to execute the responsibilities noted below. Simply put, our goal is to find an analyst who is passionate about sourcing new opportunities, networking, and being a part of a growing portfolio.
Who we are:
Astute Equity Group is a Family Office and Pre-seed Venture Capital Firm based out of Washington D.C.
We’re known for our unique approach to value creation that blends ‘big picture’ strategy, coupled with deep functional expertise and access to capital. We invest in start up companies pre-seed and seed stage where we can apply our operational expertise to create and maintain a sustainable competitive edge. We are sub-institutional in nature; we welcome the very challenges that institutional players shy away from.
Our approach combines innovative, yet pragmatic solutions to capitalize on market opportunities and achieve industry-leading performance.
Who you are:
- A post-MBA of a top academic institution with consistent record of high achievement
- Strong desire to be hands-on and a key player on small and entrepreneurial team
- Experience with building excel financial models and building PowerPoint presentation decks
- Detail-oriented and quantitatively-minded with strong business intuition
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Motivated and enthusiastic self-starter who works on own initiative with light supervision.
- Confident and positive, high-energy, cultured, capable of easily interacting with senior management.
- Flexible and willing to get involved in many different aspects of the business as required.
What you’ll be doing, but limited to:
- Working closely with senior leadership to identify investment opportunities
- Perform market research to help identify new investment trends and opportunities
- Company Portfolio Support – assisting the company with recruiting, sales, fundraising, administrative, etc.
- Deal screening – call and/or meet with prospects, evaluate opportunities
- Documentation – summarize call notes, enter deals into CRM Network with peers in other Venture Capital Firms Perform
- Due Diligence – Gather information from the target company and industry experts, analyze financial data, and create weekly reports
- Research and talk to existing references and customers of the target company, as well as potential competitors to the target company
- Conduct background checks on the current management of the target company
- Perform valuation analysis via modeling
- Help preparing internal investment memos
- Undergraduate in Business Management, Business Administration, or Finance (preferred).
- MBA from a top business school
- 1-2 years of investment experience (VC/PE, investment banking, private equity)
- Outstanding analytical skills, detail-oriented, proactive and self-motivated
- Strong Competitive Intelligence and Market Research skills.
- Strong knowledge of Excel including advanced function
- Experience with cash flow modeling and investment valuation techniques
- Ability to produce well designed professional looking Powerpoint presentations Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Must be authorized to work in the US. Position not eligible for Visa sponsorship.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Base Salary + Bonus
- Grow your professional network
- Ability to make significant impact due to small team size and dynamic, start-up environment
- Parking and Transportation: You are eligible for reimbursable transportation costs (on-site parking, SmartBenefits Transit Pass) for up to $285/month.
- Great Work Space: Our office is located in the heart of downtown, steps away from the White House and every metro line. Our team occupies a penthouse space, which has access to the roof, for those who enjoy lunch with a view.
- Working Environment: Our office boasts snacks and drinks, a coffee bar, monthly happy hours, a meditation room, studio work space (floating co-working space), an on-site gym with showers and a locker room, and access to the newest technology platforms. However, given the current COVID and post-COVID work space, this position may also be done remotely.