View job on Handshake
Southern California Public Power Authority
Southern California Public Power Authority (SCPPA) is seeking qualified applicants for immediate hire for the position of Utility Analyst. The successful applicant will be assigned to one of the following operational areas based upon current vacancies and/or operational need: Financial Services, Project Development, Asset Management, or Program Development.
Under general supervision, the Utility Analyst performs professional, technical, administrative, and analytical support, assists in the preparation of the budget, the development and management of projects and programs, manages and assists with the tracking and management of energy generation assets, and conducts a variety of analyses. The Utility Analyst position is a professional level classification and provides support to the assigned departmental function.
Essential Job Functions
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
· Provide technical and finance related assistance in the operation of SCPPA.
· Coordinate and assist in the development, preparation, and presentation of the annual administrative and general expense budget.
· Respond to departments and Members’ inquiries on the administrative and general expense budget and cost allocation plan.
· Perform various financial analysis.
· Participate in year-end closing and audit activities.
· Assist in the preparation of financial information and documents needed for bond issuance.
· Assist with annual and continuing disclosure requirements on project debt.
· Assist with the issuance of Request for Proposals and the evaluation, negotiation, and approval of service contracts.
· Support contract development and management.
· Assist with the development of analysis, reports, graphic materials, and presentations.
· Participate in the development and implementation of policies and procedures, contract management, records retention, and procurement code.
· Organize department related electronic files for record retention and to allow Members and SCPPA staff to access records and documents.
· Coordinate between SCPPA Staff, SCPPA-LA, Members and Project Participants.
· Provide functional support to various SCPPA working groups and committees.
· Establish business relationships with internal and outside entities including other public utilities, project developers, and regulatory agencies.
· Work with financial advisors, auditors, and other consultants.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
· Electric Utility generation, transmission, and distribution system
· Municipal Utility governance and organization
· Analytical methods and financial modeling
· Microsoft office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams)
· Principles and practices of municipal budget preparation and administration
· Utility project accounting including billing, collection, rates, debt servicing, and bond funding
· Program development
· Contract development
· Conduct critical thinking and offer credible solutions
· Analyze complex data
· Perform technical research and present findings
· Read and understand contracts and service agreements
· Manage priorities to ensure the most critical project issues are responded to in a timely manner
· Communicate clearly and effectively in both written and verbal formats
· Establish and maintain effective working relationships with organization staff and outside stakeholders
· Work independently and in groups
· Coordinate agency resources and work within strict timeframes
· Display enthusiasm for new and diverse tasks, including learning new skills and working in cross-functional areas beyond day-to-day responsibilities
Education, Training and Experience:
A Bachelor’s degree in engineering, finance or other relevant major is required with a minimum 2 years of experience in an operating utility or similar organization. Experience in a publicly owned utility or joint powers authority; general knowledge of accounting practices and contracts; and familiarity with types of electric generation and transmission is preferred. Advanced degree may be substituted for experience.
This recruitment is Open Until Filled, with a first review of applications received by November 10, 2022.
The filing period may close at any time once a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.