View job on Handshake
What You Will Do
The Information Systems and Modeling Group (A-1) is seeking undergraduate students to join one of our dynamic teams for the summer! Multiple teams within the Information Systems and Modeling Group (A-1) are seeking team-oriented and highly-motivated students currently enrolled in ab undergraduate STEM program. The selected students will partner with an experienced mentor who will provide guidance and feedback throughout the course of the summer internship.
The Information Systems and Modeling Group (A-1) is currently seeking undergraduate students to join one of the following teams:
- QUIC CBR Plume Modeling Team
- Infrastructure Team
- Data Analytics Team
What You Need
Minimum Job Requirements:
Education/Experience: Position requires enrollment in an undergraduate degree in STEM (or a closely related field), with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, or its equivalent.
QUIC CBR Plume Modeling Team:
- Educational background in Mechanical Engineering, Meteorology, Environmental Sciences, Chemical Engineering, Atmospheric Sciences, Nuclear Engineering, Civil Engineering, Aviation Sciences, or related technical field.
Data Analytics Team :
- Educational background in Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics, Public Health or related technical field.
Infrastructure Team :
- Educational background in electrical engineering, chemical engineering, or related technical field.
- Coursework is required in one or more of the following: electromechanical energy conversion, power systems, protection, smart grids, renewable energy, power electronics, electric machines and drives, electric vehicles.
- Experience in power system modeling and simulation and familiarity with tools such as PowerWorld, MATPOWER, PSSE, PowerModels, Simscape, PSIM, or PSCAD.
- Programming skills in MATLAB, Python, or Julia.
- Relevant power engineering experience at electric utilities or through a senior design project is strongly preferred.
Communication: Good communication skills, brainstorming and writing skills are essential, as is working effectively as part of a team.
Programming Experience : Familiarity with Python, R, C++, MATLAB, or an equivalent programming language.
Desire to Learn : The desire to continually learn new things, as well as being open to working on a variety of topics.
QUIC CBR Plume Modeling Team:
- Experience or strong interest in running numerical weather prediction, computational fluid dynamics, airborne plume transport and dispersion, and/or fire spread models
- GPU coding experience
Data Analytics Team:
- Experience processing social media data
- Experience with large-scale data processing
- Experience with high-performance computing and parallel computation
- Experience with mathematical and/or statistical modeling
- Experience with agent-based modeling
- Experience with machine learning
- Experience with natural language processing
- Experience with geographic information system analysis
- Experience analyzing and/or interpreting disease-related data
Location: This position will be located in Los Alamos, NM.
COVID Vaccine :
The COVID vaccine is mandatory for all Laboratory students working on-site and students coming on-site, as well as any students coming on-site for any reason; unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law.
Where You Will Work
Located in northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security. LANL enhances national security by ensuring the safety and reliability of the U.S. nuclear stockpile, developing technologies to reduce threats from weapons of mass destruction, and solving problems related to energy, environment, infrastructure, health, and global security concerns.
No Clearance: Position does not require a security clearance. Selected candidates will be subject to drug testing and other pre-employment background checks.
New-Employment Drug Test: The Laboratory requires successful applicants to complete a new-employment drug test and maintains a substance abuse policy that includes random drug testing.
Equal Opportunity: Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.