View job on Handshake
The Air Force Institute of Technology is offering an undergraduate internship at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.
What will I be doing?
As an ORISE participant, you will join a community of scientists and researchers in an effort to design and perform wind tunnel experiments that will enable researchers to have an improved understanding of the high temperature aerothermodynamics relevant to modern airbreathing engines.
Why should I apply?
Under the guidance of a mentor, you will gain hands-on experience to complement your education and support your academic and professional goals. Along the way, you will engage in activities and research in several areas. These include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborating with AFIT faculty and graduate students to develop new experimental methods and hardware
- Improving the software used to acquire and process experimental data
- Utilizing CAD software, MATLAB, and LabVIEW
- Improving understanding of high temperature engine aerothermodynamics
- Utilizing techniques to evaluate novel turbine cooling architectures
- Documenting findings for presentation to other scientists and engineers
Where will I be located?
What is the anticipated start date?
Exact start dates will be determined at the time of selection and in coordination with the selected candidate. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis and internships or fellowships will be filled as qualified candidates are identified.
What is the appointment length?
This appointment is a three-month research appointment, with the possibility to be renewed for additional research periods. Appointments may be extended depending on funding availability, project assignment, program rules, and availability of the participant.
What are the benefits?
You will receive a stipend to be determined by AFIT. Stipends are typically based on a participant’s academic standing, discipline, experience, and research facility location. Other benefits may include the following:
- Health Insurance Supplement (Participants are eligible to purchase health insurance through ORISE)
- Relocation Allowance
- Training and Travel Allowance
Applicants should have completed at least one year of undergraduate education with a major in Engineering or Physics at the time of starting the program.
- Citizenship: U.S. Citizen Only
- Degree: Bachelor’s Degree received within the last 60 months or anticipated to be received by 12/31/2024 11:59:00 PM
- Overall GPA: 3.00
The Air Force Institute of Technology, or AFIT, located at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, is the Air Force’s graduate school of engineering and management as well as its institution for technical professional continuing education. A component of Air University and Air Education and Training Command, AFIT is committed to providing defense-focused graduate and professional continuing education and research to sustain the technological supremacy of America’s air, space and cyber forces.