View job on Handshake
Are you inspired by invention? Is problem solving through teamwork in your DNA? Do you like the idea of seeing how your work impacts the bigger picture? Answer yes to these questions and you’ll fit right in here at Amazon Robotics. We are a smart team of doers who work passionately to apply cutting edge advances in robotics and software to solve real-world challenges that will transform our customers experiences in ways we can’t even image yet. We invent new improvements every day.
Amazon Robotics, a wholly owned subsidiary of Amazon.com, empowers a smarter, faster, more consistent customer experience through automation. Amazon Robotics automates fulfilment center operations using various methods of robotic technology including autonomous mobile robots, sophisticated control software, language perception, power management, computer vision, depth sensing, machine learning, object recognition, and semantic understanding of commands. Amazon Robotics has a dedicated focus on research and development to continuously explore new opportunities to extend its product lines into new areas.
This role is a 3-month internship from June to August 2022.
Amazon Robotics is seeking a talented and motivated Engineering or Computer Science student to join our Systems & Products Technical Program Management Team for an internship. The candidate will have the opportunity work with senior program management and engineering staff to deliver updates to existing products as well as new mechanisms, modules and systems. The ideal candidate has strong engineering aptitude, organization and communication skills, enjoys problem solving and can potentially handle multiple parallel tasks.
Principle Duties and responsibilities:
- Manage one large, or multiple smaller projects in engineering sustainment in support of our mobile robotic and robotic workcell platforms.
- Projects could be released to Drive Units (Robots), Pods (shelving units), Stations (Human Machine Interface), chargers (for the robots), Safety Systems, or Robotic work cells
- Project size and quantity is dependent upon candidate comfort level as well as business project priority at the time of hire
- Interface with all engineering disciplines to deliver project requirements
- Work with supply chain, manufacturing, manufacturing engineering, and test engineering to implement engineering changes into production
- Leverage and develop project management skills including
- Development of project schedules leverage MS Project, or other Gantt chart tool of choice
- Leverage the agile scrum methodology
- Manage a risk register, including identifying, assessing and mitigating risks
- Develop payback models for new product features as required
- Bi-weekly project status reporting to HW Engineering leadership team
- Opportunities for process improvement related to management of sustaining projects and activities
- Develop a transition plan to hand off in-process activities to fall co-op
- The ideal candidate should be pursuing a degree in an engineering discipline, preferably electrical, mechanical, or industrial or computer science
- The candidate should have completed at least 1 internship in a design or project management field
- The candidate is interested in project and/or program management, and may have an interest in pursuing an MBA, or has interest in engineering management
- The candidate may be pursuing a business minor
- Preferred familiarity with MS Project and/or Agile Scrum methodology
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.