Aurora is looking for a Data Modelling Analyst to join our Austin office.
Our mission is to provide data-driven intelligence to support the energy transition. To support this mission, we are looking for a Data Modelling Analyst to join our newest office in Austin, Texas. Aurora has developed a market-leading suite of research services which provide analytics and insights to key players in energy markets around the world, both public and private. More than 300 companies access these services, representing the vast majority of power generation capacity in the market and projects in development.
Having recently expanded into the USA, this is an exciting opportunity to work on cutting edge research and inform key decisions taken by our rapidly growing group of US clients. The successful candidate will work in a dynamic, intellectually stimulating, and demanding yet supportive environment. Working as part of a close-knit team, you will enjoy autonomy, the opportunity to substantially influence major decisions in the energy sector, and the chance to grow into an industry expert.
Based in Austin, the Data Modelling Analyst will work across the team (research and consulting), developing analytical solutions and data driven insights to enhance decision-making, both internally and for clients. The role involves developing analytical and computational tools, in addition to all aspects of client engagement: helping identify issues, forming hypotheses, conducting analysis, presenting key findings and synthesizing conclusions into recommendations. You will serve as the technical leader within the team and play a key role interfacing with our in-house energy modelling and software development teams based in Oxford. The successful applicant will combine technical strength with a strong track record of performance in team-oriented environments.
The position suits a recent graduate of a Bachelor’s or Master’s program with 0-3 years of experience. At this time, we will only be considering those candidates who do not requirement visa sponsorship.
- Develop timely and rigorous quantitative analyses to enhance clients’ decision-making
- Work closely with our modelling team, structuring economic problems into quantifiable analyses and deriving insights from the model results
- Contribute to Aurora’s product development, by identifying new opportunities and expanding our capabilities
- Engage with clients and internal stakeholders to thoroughly understand their requirements
- Communicate findings to clients and internal stakeholders
- A college degree and evidence of strong academic performance in in a quantitative subject (e.g. Math, Economics, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science, Finance)
- The ability to collect, analyze and interpret complex quantitative data and information
- Experience with at least one programming language, e.g. C++, Matlab, Python, R, etc.
- Evidence of strong performance in team-oriented environments and project management (e.g. as part of a college project)
- The ability to communicate and collaborate with both technical and non-technical parties
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and take initiative
- Self-starter, entrepreneurial mind-set, and desire to grow the business
- Strong interest in energy and power markets
- Knowledge of an algebraic modelling language, such as GAMS (preferred) or AMPL
- Advanced knowledge of Excel, including VBA
- Strong grasp of data science fundamentals, knowledge of statistical techniques and skill with statistical software
What we offer
- A dynamic, intellectually stimulating, and supportive environment
- The opportunity to grow with the company, take on further responsibilities and bring in your own ideas
- A fun and international work culture
- The chance to influence key decisions in the energy sector through exceptional analysis
- The successful candidate would start from August/September 2021
- We will review applications as they are received
- Salary will be competitive with experience
Please submit your résumé, a brief cover letter, your salary expectations and state your earliest possible start date.
Aurora values diversity and is committed to the principle that no employee or job applicant shall receive unfavourable treatment on grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership and pregnancy and maternity.
Founded in 2013 by University of Oxford professors and economists who saw the need for a deeper focus on quality analysis, we have grown to become the largest dedicated energy analytics provider in Europe.
- Subscription analytics
Our mission is to provide rigorous, sophisticated analysis and energy market modelling to address this increasing market complexity. We cover all key energy commodities, with particular focus on the power sector and low-carbon energy transformation. We are thriving, and rapidly growing in Europe and further afield.