View job on Handshake
The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality strives to build and sustain an inclusive environment that embraces and values diversity. Employees at all levels of the agency work together to foster fairness, equity, inclusion, and belonging. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ethnicity, veteran, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, or physical or mental disability. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may not meet every one of our listed preferred qualifications. Lived experience may count towards the preferred qualification. If you are excited about this position, we encourage you to apply. If you are unsure as to whether or not you meet the qualifications of this position, please contact us to discuss your application.
The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality has a full-time opportunity for a System Analyst (Information Systems Specialist 6) in Portland, Oregon.
What you will do!
You will provide research, design, development, implementation, and operational support of agency-wide applications, such as Your DEQ Online, Oregon Buys, Workday, and other core enterprise systems. These activities facilitate the successful and reliable operation of enterprise applications that support agency programs for the management of environmental quality.
What’s in it for you!
This is a full-time, AFSCME represented position.
This recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies.
What are we looking for?
Minimum Qualifications: 5 years of information systems experience, OR a Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or a related field, AND 1 year of information systems experience.
Candidates who are most competitive will also reflect the following:
- A good working knowledge of relational database theory and application.
- Experience with database development and implementation in a multi-user, multi-site environment; experience developing, collecting, modeling, and managing data sets and systems, preferably environmental data sets.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office, SQL, Visual Studio, SQL Server Management Studio, JSON, and other data manipulation software; specific experience developing SQL Server and Visual Studio transaction processing systems and distributed applications.
- Ability to effectively communicate ideas, recommendations, and technical information to technical and non-technical people; experience providing technical consultation and advice to managers, technical and professional IT staff, and system users.
- Experience conducting system analysis, including identifying system requirements and choosing appropriate data management tools.
- Experience analyzing and diagnosing user problems with enterprise level systems and implementing solutions to help the user.
- Experience with major database migrations and implementations.
- Experience working with colleagues to develop and improve processes, standard operating procedures, and Service Level Agreements.
- Experience facilitating timely escalation and resolution with vendors for issues outside of the scope of the organization’s ability to fix, such as system bugs or functionality that is determined to not meet agreed upon requirements; experience testing and verifying that the fixes implemented by staff and vendors fully resolve customer issues and do not create unanticipated negative consequences.
- Experience creating and maintaining system documentation, including writing instructional documents for users of information systems and providing user training as needed.
Work is primarily in a fast-paced professional office. This position requires some travel on official State business for meetings, conferences, and trainings, some of which may be held in the evenings and involve overnight stays. This position requires the ability to work evenings, weekends, and holidays in response to emergency conditions.
How to Apply: (complete the application in full)
- External Applicants Click on the “Apply” button and submit your application. Click this link for the External Candidate job aid, and view this video for additional information.
- Internal Applicants (current State of Oregon employees): Apply through your employee Workday account. View this job aid for assistance.
- Be sure to attach a resume and cover letter.
- Allow yourself plenty of time to complete and submit the application, resume, and cover letter.
- Workday will timeout after 15 minutes of inactivity.
- This posting closes at 11:59 PM on the close date listed.
- Please save a copy of the job announcement for your reference, as it may not be available for you to view after the job posting closes.
- Be sure to check both your email and Workday account for updates regarding this recruitment.
- Workday performs best in Google Chrome.
- Click here for Resources and a Job Support Page.
Please Note: In addition to your related work experience and education, DEQ will use the desired attributes and minimum qualifications above, under the “What are we looking for?” section to determine whom to interview. Please make sure your attributes and minimum qualifications are clearly demonstrated in your application material.
COVID-19 Vaccination Information:
DEQ does not offer visa sponsorships. On the first day of employment, all hires will be required to complete the US Department of Homeland Security’s Form I-9, confirming authorization to work in the United States. In addition, hires will have three business days from their first day of employment to present documents that establish employment authorization and identity. DEQ is an E-Verify employer and will use E-Verify to confirm that hires are authorized to work in the United States.