Sustainability Intern – Summer (Paid/In-Person)
Schedule: Monday – Friday, 40 hour per/week
Location: 2 Park Avenue, New York
Dates: June 6th – August 12th 2022
Who We Are
Since its inception in 1984, L+M Development Partners Inc. has been an innovator developing quality affordable, mixed-income and market-rate housing. At L+M Development Partners, working together to build stronger communities is our mission. Our “double bottom line “philosophy means that we measure success not only in financial returns but also by the positive impacts we make in the communities we serve.
Founded in 1984, L+M is a full-service real estate development firm which develops, invests, constructs, and manages properties with industry-leading innovation. Most recently ranked #17 on Affordable Housing Finance’s Top 50 Developers list nationwide, L+M is responsible for approximately $10 billion in development and investment, and has acquired, built, or preserved nearly 35,000 high-quality residential units in New York’s tristate area, Washington, D.C., the West Coast and Gulf Coast regions.
What You’ll Do
L+M has a strong track record of developing affordable housing at the vanguard of low-carbon design. As the Sustainability Intern, you will work directly with the Director of Sustainability to support: portfolio analysis, including evaluating our current and forecasted energy and carbon footprints; initiative development within different business lines; and other activities related to sustainability in specific development and retrofit projects.
L+M offers a comprehensive intern program. During the ten-week program, interns will gain exposure to the jobsite, means and methods of construction, tour several jobsites, attend a lunch with company leaders, and make a presentation on lessons learned to senior management. Specific duties will vary depending on the team but include tasks similar to these:
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Support development of energy and carbon footprint models
· Evaluate and quantify energy and cost saving projects
· Support evaluation of current data systems and develop new data requirements documentation
· Support pilot implementation and other project specific needs
· Coordinate with utilities and other program administrators on incentive and subsidy programs
Who We Want
· Rising undergraduate senior or graduate student
· Experience with data analysis and fluency in excel. Preferred energy use analysis and/or GHG accounting
· Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
· Self-starter who has a track record of being able to manage tasks independently
· Preferred, but not required, academic background or career experience in one or more of the following topics: built environment, sustainability, energy management, energy efficiency, mechanical engineering
What We Value
We’ve identified a set of core competencies which you will cultivate to thrive within the sustainability team.
· Innovation: Be nimble, imaginative, and responsive in your thinking; be willing to pivot and bring new ideas to the table
· Dedication: Have fun while working hard; go beyond expectations by enjoying your time with L+M
· Quality: Be solution-oriented, accountable, and dependable. Have ownership of your work and exhibit attention to detail
· Relationships: Value the interconnectedness with others. Seek to understand impacts of work to communities, vendors, partners, and others.
· Integrity: Live up commitments, be transparent about accomplishments and challenges
· Respect: Be in the mindset to listen and collaborate.
What You’ll Learn
· Leadership and relationship building skills
· Valuable tools for working in your chosen field
· Project planning, management, and execution skills
· Relationship development skills
· You will learn how to work in a professional environment and build your network
How to Apply
Please send a resume and a compelling personal statement answering one (1) of the following questions.
· How would you create a more inclusive environment at a workplace like L+M Development Partners? Would you please describe an experience of where you led a group, organization, or yourself to be more inclusive?
· Think of a time in your life that shaped your decision to pursue this field. What inspired you to pursue a career in Real Estate Development, Construction, or Property Management?
· Why are you interested in L+M Development Partners? What about the mission statement “Working Together to Build a Stronger Community” resonates with you?
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
We are working together to build stronger communities.
We believe that diversity, equity, & inclusion make us a more innovative and vibrant place to work. We intentionally seek team members who are committed to building and maintaining an inclusive workplace for all staff and the next generation of leaders to achieve our mission.
L+M Development Partners is an equal opportunity employer to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or veteran status.