The Supply Chain Engineer – Packaging will provide technical support and subject matter expertise in all facets of packaging within the Distribution Centers to enhance product packaging from an end to end Supply Chain perspective to drive improved efficiency, quality, safety, and “Great Place to Work” initiatives for the network. He/she will present to senior leadership for approvals and provide updates. Must be able to influence senior leadership. Will collaborate closely with Corporate Packaging Engineering, DC Operations, Engineering, Safety, Operations Planning, Operations Excellence, Project Management, Quality Assurance and Inventory Control.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Review, provide design input to and approve packaging designs for new products from an end to end Supply Chain perspective.
- Collaborate with Distribution Center operations and Quality Assurance to identify and prioritize opportunities to enhance packaging of existing products, coordinating with the corporate packaging engineering team to justify and deliver enhancements.
- Research, justify and support implementation of new supply chain product unitizing approaches, such as pallet design, pallet securement and import freight container load bracing, and retail shipping load bracing.
- Drive optimization of DC packaging including DC consumable supplies like tote boxes and stretch film as well as Direct to Consumer packaging.
- Use appropriate problem solving tools to provide rapid improvement with sustainable results
- Validate progress and completion milestones
- Apply Lean methods for structured problem solving
- Lead efforts to drive collaboration across supply chain and corporate partners
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Supply Chain Network
- Travel – approximately 10% travel required, depending on home location
- Location – Local to any DC
Job Qualifications – Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Supply Chain or Packaging
- 2+ years of experience in high volume distribution or manufacturing environment preferred. Experience with DC technology, manufacturing systems and equipment and process a plus
- Display strong leadership and influencing skills
- Must be highly organized, and be able to handle multiple projects/tasks simultaneously
- Possess a high degree of financial and analytical skills
- Excel at working and leading in a team environment
- Ability to clearly communicate both verbally and written at all levels of management
- Proficient with all aspects of Operations Management, techniques and principles
- Experience in applying and teaching Lean or other Continuous Improvement methodologies
- Proven track record of successful change management and accomplishments implementing productivity and cost reduction programs
- Possess strong computer skills
- Leadership – Models the Company’s values and influences others to achieve individual or team objectives
- Communication – Clearly conveys information through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that is understandable, easy to retain and timely
- Initiative – Approaches work objectives with a sense of urgency and a dedication to exceeding performance expectations
- Problem-solving/Decision-making – Accurately identifies problems, issues and opportunities, collects data to draw conclusions and chooses a course of action based on facts
- Planning & Organization – Establishes courses of action for self and others to ensure that work objectives are met
- Policy Compliance – Manages in accordance with Company policies and procedures and promotes compliance in others
- stand, walk, sit for extended periods of time
- speak and listen to others in person and over the phone
- use keyboard and read from computer screen and reports
- lift 50 pounds
- Must be able to perform this job safely in accordance with standard operating procedures and good manufacturing practices, without endangering the health or safety of self or others