Employment Status: Full time position
Hours: 40 hours/week
Compensation: Available upon offer
Benefits: Health and dental insurance coverage, vacations, holidays, sick days; simple IRA plan with employer contribution of 2% of salary
Location: Hybrid Office Environment: Remote & Equal Exchange Headquarters, West Bridgewater, MA
In 2006, three entrepreneurial organizations came together to create Oke USA. Their goal was to introduce small farmer, fair trade bananas to the US market. Today, Oke USA now operates as the produce importing arm of Equal Exchange, importing fresh bananas, avocados, and banana puree directly from small farmer cooperatives in Latin America. We invite you to join our small and dynamic team to grow Oke’s impact and mission.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Logistics (70%):
- Manage complex weekly international and domestic logistics of one of Oke’s fresh produce categories from Latin America to US ripeners and distributors
- Coordinate orders, ocean/truck transportation, customs, domestic logistics, quality control
- Co-manage projections, procurement, and inventory management
- Co-manage customer relations and distribution
- Perform pricing and financial analysis
- Sales and Education (20%): Build and maintain relationships with existing customers and accounts; implement grassroots marketing efforts to build store and consumer awareness of brand mission through social media, print, store visits and staff trainings and educational outreach
- Team (10%): Participate in staff, team, and educational meetings and activities. Understand producer partners, trading policies, and the Fair Trade movement. Work with the Oke team to engage in team level sales, supply chain and creative thinking around building alternative fair trade supply chains.
- Ability to manage complex logistics
- Team player
- Excellent organizational skills
- Cultural competency
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team
- Good communication skills
- Time management skills
- Ability to work under high stress in a fast paced environment at times
- Attention to detail alongside the ability to think big picture
- Ability to problem solve
- Commitment to making a difference and passion for issues related to sustainable agriculture and alternative food systems!
- Flexibility and willingness to continuously learn by experience. This job may evolve as Oke grows and evolves
- Spanish language fluency or high proficiency
- Experience with perishable produce logistics
- Experience with Latin American farmer cooperatives
- Experience working in social-justice, food systems and/or other mission based work
Please give a brief response to 1 of the 2 questions below:
1. If you were a small scale banana or avocado farmer, what would you want out of a relationship with Oke USA?
2. Oke USA must compete with other produce companies on the most conventional terms while also carrying out our fair trade mission. What do you bring to a company with this challenge?
Please add email@example.com to your known senders list to be sure you receive communication from us.
Oke USA / Equal Exchange supports equal employment opportunity for all classes of individuals, regardless of age, race, color, national origin, citizenship status, disability, religious creed, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, economic status, veteran status. Additionally, people who are oppressed or are denied power and privilege in society are strongly encouraged to apply.
Thank you for considering working in the small farmer supply chain!