Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around January 2023 and continue through the entire Winter/Spring term (i.e. through April/May) or into early Summer 2023 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before applying.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school on your ability to work 40 hours per week before applying. Again, please do not apply until you know you can work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time during the academic year.
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize and develop emerging talent. Our year-round program places the best students in positions where they will grow technically, professionally, and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows the intern to experience life at Tesla by including them in projects that are critical to their team’s success. Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, our interns have a seat at the table and make critical decisions that will influence not only their team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
What You’ll Do
Tesla’s Supplier Industrialization and Supplier Quality team are responsible for critical component development, quality management, continuous improvement, and qualification activities at suppliers. The job requires effective communication at all levels both with internal and external teams, conducting failure analysis, leading statistical process control activities for critical components, limited travel to in-region suppliers, and on-the-spot critical decision making.
The goal: developing suppliers by teaching best practices for manufacturing, quality, and engineering, delivering on time quantities of high quality component parts into Tesla’s production processes to enable extremely rapid development cycles and product launches, driving lean manufacturing principals to reduce waste and improve quality.
- Drive improvements utilizing Lean methodologies, Statistical Process Control, supplier scorecards, ensuring supplier compliance, whilst driving systematic problem solving and process improvement plans to deliver value
- Based on performance and business needs, set priorities for suppliers
- Develop positive relationships and work closely with Supply Chain Team to manage, implement and track supplier/engineering, design changes, capacity studies and New Product Introductions, and transfers
- Deliver results as measured by key metrics, such as supplier OEE(Overall Equipment Effectiveness), OTD(On Time Delivery), DPPM(defective parts per million), SCAR (Supplier Corrective Action Request), and VA/VE(Value Added / Value Engineered) improvements
- Provide leadership during investigations of major problems and or special projects focusing on developing working relationships with suppliers and the supply chain with regard to product development and procurement of parts
- Plan, organize, direct and report all activities and matters relating to supplier performance. Assess supplier qualifications including training and certifications
- Keep up with current and developing manufacturing and engineering trends that concern product quality
- Perform root cause analysis, coordinate and conduct specialized testing and measurement, and resolve problems
- Self-starter, seeks opportunities to improve processes, part quality, and overall efficiency
- Identifies trends and priorities by organizing and graphing/charting data
- Applies project management and/or systems engineering tools to complete complex tasks
What You’ll Bring
- Working towards a Master’s Degree in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Manufacturing field
- Experience using AutoCAD, Solid Works, and MiniTab
- Experience operating basic tools and equipment in a manufacturing environment
- Exposure to lean manufacturing tools and how they are applied
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.