View job on Handshake
Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around January 2023 and continue through the entire Winter/Spring term (i.e. through April/May) or into early Summer 2023 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before applying.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school on your ability to work 40 hours per week before applying. Again, please do not apply until you know you can work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time during the academic year.
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize and develop emerging talent. Our year-round program places the best students in positions where they will grow technically, professionally, and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows the intern to experience life at Tesla by including them in projects that are critical to their team’s success. Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, our interns have a seat at the table and make critical decisions that will influence not only their team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
- Palo Alto, CA
- Lathrop, CA
- Fremont, CA
What You’ll Do
Tesla’s Supplier Industrialization team is responsible for critical component development and qualification activities at suppliers. The job involves communicating well with internal and external teams, traveling to suppliers in different regions, and on-the-spot critical decision making. The goal: delivering on time quantities of high-quality component parts into Tesla’s production processes to enable extremely rapid development cycles and product launches.
- The Intern will evaluate the design for manufacturing risks for Tesla Power Electronics and Infotainment Electronics product and identify the feasibility of Manufacturing processes such as Dispensing, Pick and Place, Screwing, Laser welding, and other critical manufacturing processes.
- The intern will be required to conduct Mechanical Tolerance Stack Up analysis and conduct Monte Carlos simulation with the guidance from other Supplier Industrialization Engineer to assess assembly risks.
- The intern will be required to lead the data collection activity, sometimes hands-on in the field, to develop a data collection plan and DOE (Design of Experiments) plan to identify relationships between Input and output factors, to root cause of potential performance drift of a product.
- The intern will be required to lead internal program reviews for major NPI (New Product Introduction) projects (Gantt chart, milestone tracking, and escalation meetings) such as: Engineering development phases tracking, DFM (Design for Manufacturability) tracking, Product Yield monitoring, and Daily program issue reporting
- The intern will be directly involved with the NPI team to be responsible for Top level assembly projects. rive Tesla qualification process and review Measurement System Analysis, GRR, Cpk, and run at rate with the supplier to approve mass production. Work with the Factory team to solve quality issues related to the project assigned.
What You’ll Bring
- Working towards a bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Industrial, or Manufacturing Engineering
- Knowledge PPAP/APQP processes
- GD&T and inspection
- Demonstrable leadership abilities
- Experience in Program management
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.