View job on Handshake
What you’ll do…
Walmart sells hundreds of billions of dollars a year in merchandise, manages thousands of stores and distribution centers, employs more than one million people, and operates a fast-growing marketplace and ads business. Walmart’s scale and the complexity of its problems necessitate careful, sophisticated analysis. The Walmart Economics team is responsible for applying the latest insights and methods from academia to drive Walmart’s decision making and continued transformation.
The Walmart Economics team is new to the organization and growing quickly. Economists on the team work with the Chief Economist on projects across the company, including:
- Optimizing pricing
- Growing membership and subscriptions
- Increasing our sustainability
- Developing a thriving marketplace
Interns are fully immersed in the team and can expect to take on a short-term version or a component of a full-time project. You will partner with business and tech teams to use tools from Economics to understand the causal impact of decisions, identify and optimize tradeoffs, and drive strategy using first principles. As an early member on the team, you will help to define how Walmart leverages economics to drive outcomes and lay the groundwork for the future of the team.
- Designing and analyzing experiments – Guide decision making by ensuring we understand the impact of potential changes through careful experimentation
- Performing causal inference – Leverage the latest in econometrics and statistics to understand the effect of changes we cannot run experimentally
- Framing and evaluating trade-offs – Define and weigh business trade-offs to drive strategic decisions under uncertainty
- Applying behavioral economics – Use an understanding of behavioral economics to inform user experience design
- Third year undergraduate majoring in a quantitative field (e.g., Economics, Math, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science)
- Experience with analyzing large datasets (ideally coding in SQL, R, or Python) is a plus
- Passion for economics or experience assisting with academic research
- You’re curious and a self-starter, naturally interested in learning more
- You’re collaborative and uplift your team when you partner with others
- You enjoy hard problems
- You have knowledge of experimentation and causal inference methods
Benefits & perks:
Beyond a great compensation package, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Who we are:
Join Walmart and your work could help over 260 million global customers live better every week. Yes, we are the Fortune #1 company. But you’ll quickly find we’re a company who wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. A career at Walmart is where the world’s most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our stores. Join us and you’ll discover why we are a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement. From day one, you’ll be empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.