Homesite Insurance was founded in 1997 and was one of the first companies to enable customers to purchase home insurance directly online, during a single visit. Since then, we’ve continued to innovate rapidly to meet the needs of our customers and their changing expectations.
One thing that’s stayed the same since our founding: our commitment to our customers, partners and employees.
As a Data Science Intern you will assist in establishing and maintaining strategies to meet organizational objectives. Under the direction of a senior level employee or manager you will work on projects that support the business area goals and results. You will also complete tasks using both interpersonal and technical skills appropriate to the specific job assignment, while adapting to new or changing situations in a team environment.
Homesite is an innovative national property and casualty insurance company with a fast-paced environment. We’re proud to be part of the American Family Mutual Insurance Company and the home for the Enterprise’s Property Center of Excellence. We support multiple products sold through a number of operating companies and distribution methods. At Homesite, we’re on a mission to protect homeowners and renters at the time they need it most. Data science lies at the heart of our value proposition, using technology to disrupt the high fixed costs and limited distribution channels across the industry. Homesite is a tech-native national insurer with a fast-paced environment and state-of-the-art pricing and product. Offering products in partnership with the largest national brands has driven years of profitable double-digit growth.
We’re a centralized team of data scientists, data engineers, and developers. The right individual will have world-class analytical rigor, mad coding skills, and experience handling massive datasets. This person must be a great data storyteller and will regularly partner with our product team. With a data science stack that rivals leading tech companies of the same size, Homesite’s model implementation is frictionless so you can make an immediate impact with your work.
- Build supervised and unsupervised models leveraging machine learning/deep learning and deep statistical knowledge.
- High impact data science projects include customer lifetime value, price elasticity, retention, recommendation (next best action), roof damage, theft, and wildfire predictive models.
- Collaborate on predictive modeling projects to enable efficient processing of customer information leveraging cutting edge natural language processing.
- Problem solve with fellow data scientists and developers to translate models into business solutions, and collaborate with our product team among others.
- Create data science packages and tools that automate work and accel other teams.
- Must be in pursuit of a post-secondary degree or certificate during the semester of the internship.
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field such as Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Finance, Physics, or Engineering with significant computer programming coursework.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Solid understanding of Statistical methods and Machine Learning
- Ability to extract and clean data from a variety of structured and unstructured sources.
- Solid understanding of best practices in coding, code organization, data transformation, imputation, model selection, evaluation, and tuning.
- Prior experience with GLMs.
- Proficiency in programming SQL and R or Python.
- Knowledge of one version control system, preferably Git is preferred.
When you work at Homesite you can expect benefits that support your physical, emotional, and financial wellbeing. You will have access to comprehensive medical, dental, vision and wellbeing benefits that enable you to take care of your health. We also offer a competitive 401(k) contribution, a pension plan, an annual incentive, and a paid-time off program. In addition, our student loan repayment program and paid-family leave are available to support our employees and their families. Interns and contingent workers are not eligible for American Family Enterprise benefits.