New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
This is an excellent opportunity to be a Subcontracts Manager in the Acquisition Division which functions as an integral part of all JPL/NASA Missions. This is an Entry Level position for a non-supervisory role. This individual contributor is responsible for managing a portfolio of subcontracts. As a member of the Commercial Subcontracts & Strategic Sourcing Section you will manage various subcontracts, including contract negotiations, source selection, market research and competitive evaluated selections. The Subcontract Manager oversees subcontracts such as flight hardware, computer hardware & software, fabrication, technology, support and services. This individual serves as the primary interface with suppliers in support of project procurement requirements. This individual must use critical thinking skills to develop solutions to unique Subcontract issues and autonomously oversee the total supply chain management process, from identification of customer requirements through closeout of the subcontract.
The Subcontracts Manager is responsible for the identification, solicitation, selection, award, drafting and management of subcontracts. In addition, they must develop requirements received in the form of purchase requisitions and project documents into solicitation documents to obtain pricing information, cost, technical and management proposals to establish lowest responsive and responsible bidders, or select best value proposers. Utilize all available information to formulate negotiation strategies and conduct negotiations on delivery, price, technical requirements and subcontract terms. Manage the cost, schedule and quality of the requirements under the subcontract to ensure compliance with Laboratory requirements and resolve discrepancies. Manage subcontracts to ensure timely completion of requirements and the closeout of subcontracts, negotiating subcontract modifications as needed. Provide excellent customer service by navigating customers through the total supply chain process.
- Bachelor’s with typically at least one year related work experience, Master’s degree in Business or related major
- Minimum of a 3.0/4.0 cumulative GPA
- General knowledge of applicable industry and/or academic practices and standards in related to Business or related
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to work in a team environment
- Strong analytical skills
- Prior internship/volunteer experience in related disciplines
- Participation in student/volunteer organizations
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritize appropriately
- Ability to think clearly and effectively under pressure
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Work experience utilizing business skills and customer service
- Some knowledge in the procurement process or total supply chain management process
- General understanding and application of standard principles, theories, concepts and techniques in procurement
- Experience with Oracle Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system or other ERP systems
- Professional Designation in Government Contracts or Purchasing Management and/or membership to related professional affiliations
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, protected military or veteran status or any other characteristic or condition protected by Federal, state or local law.
In addition, JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.