Staff Services Manager I – Office of Environmental Equity; Business Operations Unit
Do you have a strong passion for the environment and a background in operational leadership? Join DTSC’s Office of Environmental Equity (OEE) leadership team to make a daily difference in protecting people and the environment. We work to incorporate the values, principles, and practices of three programs across the Department: Environmental Justice, Public Participation, and Tribal Affairs. To promote environmental justice and diversity, we must challenge existing disparities and the decision-making processes that keep historic injustices and present-day barriers in place. Our dynamic and diverse team facilitates meaningful community outreach and engagement, promotes environmental justice and equity in our decision-making.
This role will lead a multidimensional team of analysts, information technology, and administrative staff in the Office of Environmental Equity Business Operations Unit. The incumbent must possess a strong business acumen, including skills and abilities in budgeting, finance, procurement, communication, management, contract management and business operations.
· OEE Operations – Provides direction, oversight, and resolution in areas including technology infrastructure, finances, budgets, forecasting, contracts, purchasing, data management, performance metrics, and procurement in coordination with the Office of Environmental Information Management (OEIM), and Business Services to ensure program-wide objectives are met.
· Supervision and Performance Evaluation – Plans, organizes, directs, and provides managerial review of the work performed in the Operations Unit. Sets performance standards for all staff and evaluates performance; develops staff work plans, provides training and coaching for staff development, monitors, and evaluates progress, and ensures key milestones are met timely. Provides regular and timely written staff performance appraisals.
· Serves as the primary liaison to OEE management team for the information management systems, (i.e., SharePoint, Website, EnviroStor, etc.). Identifies technology solutions for program and business operation’s needs, and acts as the OEE lead administrator of information management systems.
Other Desirable Qualifications include:
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Strong budgeting, procurement, purchasing, contract coordination and development skills
· Expertise in team development and team building
· Strong knowledge in expenditure forecasting, projection development experience
· Financial and Analytical skills and purchasing experience
· Experience in public outreach, engagement planning and implementation
· Knowledge of racial equity and environmental justice principles and practices
· Strong emotional intelligence and systems thinking skills
· Leadership skills to facilitate and lead effective and dynamic teams
· Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced collaborative environment
· Project & Change Management experience
· Knowledge and use of virtual/remote Platforms (i.e., Zoom, MS Teams)
Job Control: JC – 267836
Classification: Staff Services Manager I
Monthly Salary: $6,403.00 – $7,954.00
Must apply by: 9/23/2021
See minimum requirements here:
For questions about the position, please contact:
For questions regarding the hiring process, please contact:
View benefits available with the State of California here: