avannah River National Laboratory (SRNL) is a multi-program laboratory applying state of the art science and practical, high-value, cost-effective solutions to complex technical problems to protect the nation. Located at the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Savannah River Site (SRS) in Aiken, SC, the laboratory develops and deploys innovative technologies to address some of the nation’s environmental, energy, and national security challenges.
Situated on the outskirts of South Carolina, Savannah River National Laboratory (SRNL) is located approximately 20 minutes from Augusta, Georgia (home of the annual Master’s Tournament) and 30 minutes from Fort Gordon (home of the new US Army Cyber Command). The complex is one-hour away from Columbia, South Carolina and within a three-hour radius of Charleston, South Carolina, and many of the coastal beaches. Aiken is known for its famous thoroughbred horses, southern hospitality, growing community, thriving school district, numerous parks and golf courses, great weather, spacious avenues, and historical large and impressive homes.
Savannah River National Laboratory is seeking a Statistician to work in dynamic Advanced Modeling, and Simulation organization to apply statistical methods in various application areas such as laboratory quality assurance, nuclear nonproliferation, nuclear materials control and accountability, and global security programs.
The vision of the Global Security Directorate is to transform technologies to meet future threats by leveraging the technologies and the staff of scientists and engineers to deliver groundbreaking advancements in national security applications.
Join the Savannah River National Laboratory and become a part of an Advanced Modeling and Simulation organization.
Work scope includes:
• Data analysis, statistical calibration, uncertainty estimation, machine learning, data visualization, experimental design, and statistical process control.
• Formulate and apply statistical methods to address investigative research and develop tailored approaches for nonstandard statistical problems.
• Strong oral and written communication skills are required for verbal and written interactions will all levels of personnel and the broader research community.
• Mentoring of less senior professionals, ability to perform complex tasks with minimal guidance and demonstrated creative ability through problem solving, technical papers, conference presentations and journal articles.
Other responsibilities may include:
• Define scope of technical programs and develop effective and efficient solutions to challenges which involve unique or controversial problems.
• Routinely use systems and meet all requirements with little supervisory guidance.
• Assist in teaching newer professionals and guiding their efforts.
• Incorporate conventional engineering or scientific practices and a variety of complex features such as complicated technical requirements, application of new or special materials or processes and difficult coordination or oversight requirements into problem solving and program planning where only general objectives are stated.
• Coordinate various phases of the activity and perform development work in assigned field.
• Define specific problems based on general problem information from management and customers.
• Plan technical effort and coordinate activities with those of other divisions, departments and sections in focuses areas to solve problems.
• Ensure compliance with technical requirements of assigned work, proper utilization and training of personnel operating under one’s technical guidance, and compliance with approved schedules and staffing estimates.
• Ensures appropriate technical performance of the end product developed and designed to resolve the original problem.
• Determine scheduling and staffing requirements for assigned tasks, in collaboration with management.
• Demonstrate cost and schedule consciousness through timely completion of assigned tasks and projects.
• Communicate results and objectives verbally and in manuscript form to customers, colleagues and management.