View job on Handshake
Great company. Great people. Great opportunities.
As a Sr. Property Tax Analyst – Property Tax at United Rentals, you are responsible for compiling, analyzing, processing, and reviewing personal property tax and property tax replacement/recovery return data. You will research and gather data for property tax appeals and audits. Maintain property tax calendars and prepare monthly/quarterly metrics and statistics. You’ll work with business units to timely obtain complete and accurate information to support the property tax function in accordance with SOX controls.
If you would enjoy the chance to make your mark with the world’s largest equipment rental provider, consider a future with United Rentals. We’ll provide the tools, the technology and the support you need to do the job right. You will also be supported by a strong management team that will help you achieve your goals.
Additional duties include the following:
- Prepare personal property tax work paper files and reconcile return data to company financial records
- Prepare and review tax return checklists for completeness
- Update filing calendar and state methodologies to reflect current filing requirements
- Prepare analytic reports to compile property tax metrics and monitor compliance
- Analyze and interpret state and local property tax replacement/recovery laws and regulations
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual personal property tax replacement/recovery filings
- Prepare funding requests and process payments through third-party vendor system
- Responsible for property tax audits and assessment appeals
- Assist with the tax controllership function of property tax
- Prepare, review and execute funding requests; reconcile payments to the company’s general ledger accounts
- Reconcile the property tax balance sheet accounts and income statement accounts on a monthly basis to ensure automated journal entries for accruals and payments are timely, accurate, and complete
- Process personal property tax bills
- Other duties assigned as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Taxation, Finance, Business or comparable work experience required
- Master’s degree in related field, CMI, CPA or JD/LLM a plus
- 5+ years of multi-state Personal Property Tax experience with a large, multi-state corporation or accounting firm
- Strong tax research skills with ability to analyze and interpret state and local property tax laws and regulations
- Technical writing skills
- Advanced Microsoft Excel required. SQL database a plus
- Prior tax compliance systems experience with OneSource Property Tax preferred
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with fixed assets, business license, gross receipts and G/L accounting helpful
- Capable of establishing and maintaining professional productive working relationships with internal and external customers
- Adaptable and versatile with proven problem solving skills
- A high level of confidence, with attention to detail and accuracy, while performing actions with integrity and sound judgment
At United Rentals, the largest equipment rental company, we believe that it takes great employees to build a great organization – and we’re passionate about helping our people grow professionally and embrace teamwork in everything they do. Our culture is based on our corporate values and centers on mutual respect, job satisfaction, diversity and a shared responsibility to build a better future.
What’s in it for you?
U.S. Full Time roles: Best in class benefits offering includes medical, dental, vision, flex spending and health savings accounts; 401(k) retirement with company match; life and disability insurance; and paid time off including sick, vacation, holidays, and paid parental leave. Comprehensive training and development and career growth opportunities.
U.S. Part Time roles: Benefits offering includes 401(k) retirement with company match/RRSP; paid time off including sick, vacation and holidays; and comprehensive training and development and career growth opportunities.
Canada: Best in class benefits package which includes medical, dental & vision, RRSP/DPSP*, paid time off, comprehensive training and development, and career growth opportunities.
*Offered for full time roles, part time eligibility in select provinces
United Rentals, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.