View job on Handshake
thredUP is transforming resale with technology and a mission to inspire a new generation of consumers to think secondhand first. By making it easy to buy and sell secondhand, thredUP has become one of the world’s largest resale platforms for women’s and kids’ apparel, shoes and accessories. Sellers love thredUP because we make it easy to clean out their closets and unlock value for themselves or for the charity of their choice while doing good for the planet. Buyers love shopping value, premium and luxury brands all in one place, at up to 90% off estimated retail price. Our proprietary operating platform is the foundation for our managed marketplace and consists of distributed processing infrastructure, proprietary software and systems and data science expertise. In 2018, we extended our platform with thredUP’s Resale-As-A-Service (RaaSⓇ), which facilitates modern resale for a number of the world’s leading brands and retailers. thredUP has processed over 125 million unique secondhand items from 35,000 brands across 100 categories. By extending the life cycle of clothing, thredUP is changing the way consumers shop and ushering in a more sustainable future for the fashion industry.
How You Will Make An Impact
At thredUP, we’re working to revolutionize the clothing industry and we’re looking for a curious and creative team member to help manage our complex, multi-sided marketplace. As part of our data science team, you will take on the critical task of realizing the power of our inventory. You will work with an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, software engineers, analysts, and product managers to generate marketplace insights and build the algorithms that drive pricing, discounting, supplier acquisition, and inventory management efforts. If you get excited about data-driven decision making and want to play a role in managing a highly dynamic marketplace, we’d love to meet you.
In This Role You’ll Get To
- Design and implement algorithmic solutions to drive decisions around item acceptance, item pricing, and discounting and clearance strategies for 4.8M unique items in inventory and 1.5M new items every month
- Uncover insights in our vast repository of raw data, providing tactical guidance on how to achieve an inventory assortment that maximizes growth and value for all marketplace participants
- Design, configure, and analyze experiments that uncover fundamental truths about our marketplace and maximize the value of our inventory and drive business growth
- Create mathematical representations of the flow of items into and out of our marketplace with keen attention to the constraints of an evolving operational system
- Drive the inventory strategy for promotions, merchandising campaigns, and sales, and investigating their effect on inventory and buyer mix
- Participate in our knowledge-sharing culture by spreading best practices and learnings from prior experiences, helping the entire team level up
What We’re Looking For
- Professional experience in data science, machine learning, or software engineering roles
- Strong cross-functional communication skills that help push projects forward and encourage the development of new collaborations with business teams
- Innate curiosity and drive to find insights that unlock new growth or efficiency – you can’t help but dig in and seek the truth!
- Well-rounded skill set that may include statistics, machine learning, data visualization, software development, and project management
- Advanced knowledge of SQL and Python, with experience writing code in a collaborative environment
- Prior experience working with marketplaces and/or a relevant background in economics or operations research is a plus
What We Offer:
– 4-day work week with Fridays off
– Competitive salary (we leverage market data) + stock
– Employee stock purchase plan
– Flexible PTO (take the time you need) + 13 company holidays (US offices)
– Paid Sabbatical after 3 years of full time employment
– Generous paid parental leave for new mothers and fathers
– Medical, dental, vision, 401k, life and disability insurance offered
– We live by our Core Values of Transparency, SpeakingUP, Thinking Big, Infinite Learning, Influencing Outcomes & Seeking the Truth
– Voted “50 Most Innovative Companies of 2020”
– RaaS – Finalist in Fast Company’s World Changing Ideas Awards 2021
– 2021 FORTUNE Change the World Finalist
We believe diversity, inclusion and belonging is key for our team.
At thredUP, our mission has been built on extending the lives of millions of unique clothing items. Much like our inventory, we are proud to have fostered a workplace that is one-of-a-kind. As a company focused on diversity, inclusion and belonging, we are committed to ensuring our employees are comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work every day. A unique perspective is critical to solving complex problems and inspiring a new generation to think secondhand first. Be you.