View job on Handshake
The Senior Data Analyst, within the Mass General Brigham Office of the Chief Operating Officer is responsible for identifying, querying, analyzing, and visualizing data through reports and presentations, a variety of data to support operations, quality and performance measurement initiatives throughout Mass General Brigham, including its acute and specialty hospitals around greater Boston. The senior data analyst will be part of the Enterprise Operations Insights (EOI) team responsible for providing analytics insights to leadership at various levels within the organization. The position requires close collaboration and dialogue with clinical personnel, various analytic groups, and hospital and system leadership. The EOI team supports data and reporting across most domains of the hospital operations and could include areas such as patient satisfaction, patient safety, clinical outcomes, asset utilization, and more. The successful Senior Data Analyst will create lasting relationships with hospital leadership by becoming the go-to expert for data within his or her designated areas of expertise. Regular responsibilities include gathering requirements, performing qualitative and quantitative analyses, finding and querying complex data, and sharing data and results in a digestible, visually appealing, way. In addition, the Senior Data Analyst will serve as a resource and role model for other EOI data analysts, sharing best practice methodology, training other analysts and end-users, and growing the team’s wealth of knowledge and documentation. The team mainly relies on Microsoft SQL Server, Tableau, the Microsoft Office suite, and is partnering with the MGB Digital team on a journey to build a new data platform with Microsoft Azure Cloud and Snowflake, and leverages other tools and technologies on an as needed basis.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
- Elicits data and reporting requirements from hospital leadership, clinicians, and other staff, using interviews, document analysis, requirements workshops, site visits, use cases, scenarios, data analysis, task, and workflow analysis.
- Queries and analyzes data from hospital systems such as our electronic medical record system (Epic), enterprise data warehouse (EDW), external websites, and more, to glean meaningful insights and produce actionable reports for internal customers.
- Presents data and analyses to key stakeholder groups and hospital leadership, including creating materials for and giving presentations as needed.
- Works with EOI staff in design, maintenance, and distribution of reports while also overseeing ad hoc data analyses and new report development as needed.
- Works with EOI staff to continually improve our analytical capabilities with SQL, Tableau, and other analytic platforms, which includes but not limited to dashboard and report development, QA of existing reports, and documentation of system functionality.
- Performs comprehensive quality assurance, ensuring that data and reports meet end user specifications and are accurate and reliable.
- Works with new and existing EOI analysts to share knowledge in methods of data analysis, summarization, and presentation. Trains other analysts and end-users on key analytic and reporting systems and databases.
- Partner with MGB Digital (IS) teams to leverage existing tools, methods, and processes in order to deliver timely information to operations stakeholders across MGB, including partnering on an overall platform redesign, leveraging Microsoft Azure, Snowflake, and Informatica cloud tools.
- Represents EOI on internal and external committees or task forces as needed.
- Performs all other related duties as required.
- Strong ability to work and communicate effectively with staff at all levels within the organization including senior hospital management.
- Experience with querying, manipulating, cleansing, and statistically analyzing, large data sets using tools such as SQL Server Management Studio.
- Strong proficiency with Excel, manipulating large data sets and synthesizing into digestible information.
- Experience presenting data through the building of dashboards and reports using business intelligence tools such as Tableau (preferred).
- Ability to clearly communicate complex and sensitive data to senior executives as well as peers.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to tailor message to individuals and audiences throughout the institution.
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to focus detailed concentrated effort to multiple projects and re-establish priorities as necessary.
- Possesses initiative and ability to work independently while thriving in a setting requiring collaboration and teamwork for maximal efficiency and effectiveness.
- Attention to detail that ensures follow through on all initiatives implemented, and all projects undertaken.
- Ability to effectively respond to time sensitive issues and meet deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree in management, information systems, statistics, or equivalent experience.
- At least 3-5 years of experience, preferably in a related analytics position.
- Healthcare knowledge, particularly as it pertains to electronic medical record data, is preferred but not required.
- Working knowledge of relational databases, SQL, data visualization, and Business Intelligence tools such as Tableau.
- Knowledge and application of statistical analyses including variance analysis and statistical significance preferred.
- Project management skills and/or experience a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.