Saint-Gobain Research North America located in Northborough, MA is seeking a motivated and talented Senior Research Engineer with excellent communication skills to join our Abrasives R&;D team. Reporting to the Process R&;D Manager, the candidate will facilitate the successful commercialization of new high performance abrasive products, concentrating on efficient process knowledge transfer and scale-up to manufacturing. Working in close association among R&;D, business, and operations colleagues, the candidate will demonstrate an open and collaborative approach in all areas of responsibility with the ability to network within and outside of the group, taking on multiple roles, and enjoy learning and problem solving toward conception, proposal, and implementation of new processes and process technologies.
Candidate will meet objectives by:
- Planning, executing, and leading projects following a gate process methodology with accountability and timely reporting to all stakeholders
- Designing and conducting laboratory trials and experiments, analyzing results, drawing sound conclusions, and applying them in future iterations
- Researching, assessing, and utilizing new and existing tools, technologies, methods, and materials to improve processes and products
- Specifying, justifying, and overseeing the acquisition and qualification of new equipment as well as equipment upgrades
- Streamlining and standardizing processes compatible with robust and efficient production in the target manufacturing environment, and consistent with all safety and environmental policies
- Coordinating and assisting in production trials and field tests, and operating pilot scale equipment with detailed data collection for traceability
- Ensuring successful transfer to manufacturing through comprehensive documentation, training, and ongoing support to factory personnel at all levels
- BS degree with a minimum of 7+ years of relevant experience, MS degree with 3+ years of relevant experience, or an entry level PhD in mechanical engineering, industrial engineering, materials engineering, or a closely related discipline
- Ability to communicate across functions and levels using business language in an industrial environment, and coordinate with plant operations.
- Demonstrated familiarity with statistical tools, data analysis, and interpretation to draw appropriate conclusions based on a collection of basic data
- Capacity to supervise work of Research Technicians or Engineers directly or indirectly
Saint-Gobain Research (SGR) North America is one of Saint-Gobain’s largest industrial research laboratories. The center is home to more than 400 employees working at the leading edge of innovation on multidisciplinary industrial research, preparing the future by designing tomorrow’s products and processes across an amazing variety of markets and technical disciplines. Since 1985, SGR North America has been supporting existing businesses, developing future businesses, and nurturing talent.
Saint-Gobain designs, manufactures and distributes materials and solutions which are key ingredients in the wellbeing of each of us and the future of all. They can be found everywhere in our living places and our daily life: in buildings, transportation, infrastructure and in many industrial applications. They provide comfort, performance and safety while addressing the challenges of sustainable construction, resource efficiency and climate change.
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans.