The Controller is the City’s chief financial officer. Our team includes financial, technology, analytical and other professionals who work hard to secure the City’s financial integrity and promote efficient, effective and accountable government. We hold ourselves to high standards and strive to be a model for good government. We value the diverse backgrounds, perspectives and lived experiences of our teams and clients in everything we do. We work in a collaborative and inclusive environment, promote equal opportunity, and invest in the professional development and wellbeing of our team members. You can expect to work alongside colleagues who are committed to serving the public with integrity and want to see positive impacts from their work. We are looking for smart, motivated individuals who want to make a difference and use government to play a role in solving our City’s problems, including addressing long-standing and harmful disparities in our communities. For a career with purpose and professional growth, join us in the Controller’s Office.
The Office of the Controller’s vision is to be a model for good government and to make the City a better place. The Systems Division of the Controller’s Office manages the City and County of San Francisco’s Enterprise Oracle and PeopleSoft Applications, which are branded locally as our SF People & Pay, SF Learning, SF Financials, SF Procurement, and SF Reports & Analytics systems. These applications provide a robust, integrated platform that delivers mission-critical services to 55 City Departments, eliminating the need for hundreds of independent legacy systems and customized applications. The technology implemented and maintained by the Systems Division provides standardization, transparency, and efficiency for the City’s crucial business processes. We are committed to enhancing and expanding application functionality to better support our users’ changing needs.
Position Description: The Systems Division of the Controller’s Office is recruiting multiple positions in the 1053 Senior Functional Business Analyst job class, supporting the following product teams:
- SF Financials: PeopleSoft Financials & Supply Chain Management (FSCM) enterprise resource planning system suite with an emphasis on the Finance modules: General Ledger, Asset Management, Billing, Cash/AR, Accounts Payable, Expense, Commitment Control, Cash Management, eSettlements, Project Costing, Customer Contracts, Grants.
- SF Procurement: PeopleSoft Financials & Supply Chain Management (FSCM) enterprise resource planning system suite with an emphasis on the Procurement modules: Inventory, Mobile Inventory Management, Purchasing, Strategic Sourcing, Supplier Contract Management, eProcurement, eSupplier Connection
- SF People & Pay: PeopleSoft Human Capital Management (HCM) enterprise resource planning system suite with an emphasis on Payroll for North America, Time and Labor and Absence Management modules.
The key responsibilities of this role include managing customer relationships with business partners, analyzing and resolving user support issues, defining business requirements and technical specifications to solve and automate complex business issues with minimal customization, and coordinating system testing, while adhering to software development life cycle standards. This position provides the opportunity to work on a variety of projects which will vary in size and complexity.
As a trusted advisor to business partners, this individual is responsible for formulating an enterprise context impact understanding of business requirements to accurately implement effective solutions with measurable process improvement results.
Essential duties include but are not limited to:
- Gathering business requirements, diagramming business processes and policies, and performing fit/gap analysis
- Linking business processes with the setup and business rules of the PeopleSoft modules
- Understanding the processes and methods employed to perform requirements gathering, fit/gap analysis, and test planning
- Defining, documenting, and implementing application configuration settings
- Performing complex data analysis
- Designing, developing, and delivering system and process trainings for end users
- Collaborating with stakeholders and technical team members to develop functional and technical design specifications
- Developing test plans, conducting testing, design, and development of external interfaces
- Developing test plans, conducting, and documenting functional and user acceptance testing
- Developing, documenting, and testing security roles and permissions based on business process requirements
- Identifying, managing, escalating, and resolving issues and risks throughout the software development lifecycle
- Developing and maintaining up-to-date functional documentation and standards through feedback and updates received from technical team
- Conducting data validation and maintenance
- Identifying and escalating Tier 2 to Tier 3 technical support issues
- Linking business processes with the setup and business rules of the system
- Collaborating with change management team on business processes re-design
- Supporting implementation projects and advising department staff on transition plans for re-engineered business processes
- Documenting standard Tier 1 user support procedures, frequently asked questions, and canned support responses
- Supporting a new implementation or upgrade of PeopleSoft HCM or FSCM systems
- Performing other duties as assigned.
An associate degree in computer science or a closely related field from an accredited college or university OR its equivalent in terms of total course credits/units [i.e., at least sixty (60) semester or ninety (90) quarter credits/units with a minimum of twenty (20) semester or thirty (30) quarter credits/units in computer science or a closely-related field].
Three (3) years in the information systems field, including system analysis, business process design, development and implementation of business application solutions or IT project management.
Additional experience as described above may be substituted for the required degree on a year-for-year basis (up to a maximum of two (2) years). One (1) year is equivalent to thirty (30) semester units / forty-five (45) quarter units with a minimum of 10 semester / 15 quarter units in computer science or a closely related field.
- PeopleSoft subject matter expertise in one or more of the following Financials & Supply Chain Management (FSCM) modules: General Ledger, Asset Management, Billing, Cash/AR, Accounts Payable, Expense, Commitment Control, Cash Management, eSettlements, Project Costing, Customer Contracts, Grants, Inventory, Mobile Inventory Management, Purchasing, Strategic Sourcing, Supplier Contract Management, eProcurement, eSupplier Connection
- PeopleSoft subject matter expertise in one or more of the following Human Capital Management (HCM) modules: Payroll for North America, Time and Labor and Absence Management. Experience with configuration and business processes used to support the PeopleSoft Time & Labor, Payroll for North America and/or Absence Management modules. Experience with Payroll, especially supporting payroll processing, time entry, and/or management of leave balances. Working knowledge of business processes that underpin HCM (Human Capital Management) human resources, benefits, and payroll enterprise software systems.
- Advanced-level skills in analysis methodologies and techniques for operation support as well as requirements gathering, creation of functional specification, system and user testing techniques, process flow and diagramming.