Title: Senior Data Scientist, Product Analytics
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Reporting to: Head of Data & Analytics
Hippo is a high-growth company challenging the home insurance industry with a customer-centric digital-native approach, innovative technologies such as drone imaging or smart-home devices, and sophisticated data models.
The Data & Analytics department is at the center of this effort, and growing rapidly.
We are looking for a Senior Data Scientist to research and develop advanced predictive models that will put Hippo at the forefront of the insurance industry. If you are interested in applying your data skills to defining the future of insurance, we want to hear from you!
- Highly curious, creative, and self-motivated.
- Biased towards actions and developing practical, systematic solutions.
- Can dig into a new space and become an expert, while keeping an eye on the big picture.
- Enjoy exploring large, messy data sets to extract signal and insights.
- Effectively balance rigor and precision with simplicity and speed of execution.
What You’ll Do:
- Conduct complex statistical analyses to uncover key drivers of the business.
- Create compelling presentations with actionable recommendations.
- Design and analyze experiments to guide product decisions.
- Develop models to optimize operational decisions.
- Research methods to answer complex questions; mentor junior team members.
What You’ll Need:
- At least 4 years of industry experience as a data scientist
- Advanced Degree in Economics, Statistics, Mathematics, or other quantitative fields
- Deep understanding of statistics, machine learning, and research methods
- Strong coding skills in SQL and Python
- Excellent communication skills including ability to present complex findings to non-technical audiences
- Great business intuition and ability to generate hypotheses alone
- Familiarity with actuarial and insurance metrics is a plus
Benefits and Perks:
Hippo treats its team members with the same level of dedication and care as we do our customers, which is why we’re fortunate to provide all of our Hippos with:
- Healthy Hippos Benefits – 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly). As well as 401(k), long & short-term disability, employer-paid life insurance, flexible spending accounts
for health and dependent care, and an Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Training and Career Growth – Paid training opportunities and countless internal career growth opportunities
- Award-Winning Culture – Recognized by BuiltIn and Inc. Magazine as a top place to work – we value integrity, inclusiveness, empathy, and being proactive and dedicated
- Flexible Time Off – You know when and how you should recharge
- Little Hippos Program – We offer 12 weeks of parental leave for primary and secondary caregivers
- Hippo Habitat – Downtown Palo Alto location, 5-minutes from the Caltrain station. Fully stocked kitchen, and BBQ Fridays
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.
All Hippo employees who are required to report to a Hippo office or voluntarily enter a Hippo office must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. Employees in Office Based and Hybrid roles are required to report to a Hippo office. Fully vaccinated is defined as 2 weeks after receiving the second dose of a 2 dose vaccine and two weeks after receiving a single dose vaccine. Please acknowledge you have read and understand this requirement.