View job on Handshake
BlueLabs is a leading provider of analytics services and technology for government, business, and campaigns. Founded in 2013 by senior members of the Obama for America re-election campaign team, we help our clients optimize their engagements with individual customers, supporters and stakeholders to achieve their goals.
Today, our team counts over 50 data scientists, engineers, and strategists from diverse backgrounds who share a passion for using data to solve the world’s greatest social and analytical challenges. We’ve served more than 400 organizations ranging from political campaigns to advocacy groups, unions, government agencies, and international groups, as well as companies in the automotive, travel, consumer packaged goods, entertainment, healthcare, media, telecom, and other industries. Along the way, we’ve developed some of the most innovative tools available in analytics, media optimization, reporting, and influencer outreach.
The BlueLabs Government Analytics practice revolutionizes the way government agencies use data to streamline operations, interact with citizens, and react to their biggest challenges. Our team develops deep expertise within the areas our clients care about most, then builds data analytics systems that create impact at scale. We work closely with internal government innovation groups, and build on the analytics methodology pioneered in e-commerce, advocacy, politics, and consumer finance.
You will work on a fast-paced, impact-driven project team charged with intelligently improving the operations powering the policies and programs that hundreds of millions of Americans interact with on a daily basis. Our work builds the frameworks and infrastructure that allows agencies to deal with big public health challenges. We bring definition to challenging problems, creatively identify data sources, then design analytics that accurately measure impact and move the needle every day. We work in changing, ambiguous environments, so we embrace nuance, inclusivity, and complexity to deliver programs that work for the diverse groups of individuals who rely on us.
Who You Are:
- You have a proven track record using data-driven solutions to improve social outcomes – and bring a multidisciplinary approach to doing so.
- You apply variety of skills: whether thinking strategically about how to develop an enduring process, digging deep into a complex data analysis, or putting yourself in the shoes of an end-user to answer a question they didn’t know they had – you’re comfortable thinking from a number of different perspectives
- You are able to anticipate questions from your stakeholders while remaining objective in how you approach their unique challenges. You are experienced deriving value from imperfect data, but also know when to pull the emergency stop button.
We’re not building a team for a day—this is a project for the long haul. More than anything else, we’re looking for people who are excited by our mission, love to create, are honest about what they know, fascinated by what they don’t, and relish the opportunity to work with people who value the same.
In this position you will:
- Conduct and supervise analysis on data from disparate data sources to distill human-centered operations and processes into meaningful insights or evaluate and improve the effectiveness of large-scale healthcare related directly addressable (email, SMS, autodial, etc) outreach campaigns.
- Drive data analysis and data management strategies to create systematic methods of measuring performance across complex systems and technical implementations.
- Develop KPIs and metrics that address root problems and develop compelling visualizations to allow clients to easily understand challenges and take a clear action.
- Check, clean and transform incoming data for data pipelines, and help others to do the same.
- Collaborate with engineers, data scientists, program managers and external stakeholders to troubleshoot problems and proactively create solutions.
- Strive to support team excellence by developing high quality documentation.
- Work both independently and as part of a team to deliver accurate products on short deadlines.
You probably have:
- Advanced understanding of how to manipulate data using SQL or Python.
- Significant proficiency in one or more general or statistical programming languages (i.e. Python, Ruby or R) to systematically solve problems, and interest in learning new tools and techniques.
- Significant experience creating repeatable data transformation processes.
- Experience going from insight to impact: using the results of your analysis to tell a story through visualization, presentation, and writing.
- 3-4+ years of work experience working with structured/unstructured data.
You may also have experience:
- Leading a project in which you (and possibly also your team) led a client from the point of analysis to change in behavior – whether internal or external to the organization.
- Helping more junior analysts take their work from 80% to done: maybe by quality checking results, adding context, or helping to organize raw analysis into stories and recommendations.
- Experience developing solutions that blend data-driven decision-making with thoughtful understanding of human-centered design/processes.
- Authoring narrative and data visualizations that were tailored to engage your client at the right level of detail.
- Guiding significant aspects of larger projects that aim to achieve key objectives, using your strong understanding of the organization’s end goal and with minimal direct supervision.
- An undergraduate degree in a quantitative field or equivalent technical training.
The salary for this position is $85,000 annually. The position will be based in Washington, DC.
At BlueLabs, we celebrate, support and thrive on differences. Not only do they benefit our services, products, and community, but most importantly, they are to the benefit of our team. Qualified people of all races, ethnicities, ages, sex, genders, sexual orientations, national origins, gender identities, marital status, religions, veterans statuses, and disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. As an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer, BlueLabs is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees