View job on Handshake
Job Summary: (includes but is not limited to the following, other duties may be assigned):
The Senior BI Developer is responsible for supporting the Sales teams by developing business intelligence solutions leveraging the Microsoft technology platform (SQL Server database, SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), SQL Server analysis Services (SSAS) and SQL Server Reporting Services including Power BI).
• Experience working on Microsoft BI Stack (SQL Server 2016 or higher, SSAS, SSIS, SSRS, MDM, Data quality Services & PowerBI Solutions) Able to critically think and be solution-oriented
• Demonstrated understanding of Energy Trading and Risk Management (ETRM), Energy Commodity Analytics, Regulatory and Compliance reporting, Power Actualization, Deal life cycle, P&L, and Settlement processes
• Solid foundation in data model concepts, master data management, operational process, SDLC, project management, data profiling, data cleansing/de-duplication processes.
• Previous experience leading data management initiatives (data profiling, improvement, accuracy, completeness, integrity, security, stewardship, and governance)
• Strong experience with SQL.
• Experience with SSIS 2016, data modeling Working with Power BI and other Business Intelligence systems.
• Experience with DAX and MDX queries and performance tuning on SSAS
• Experience with data warehousing, associated architecture, and warehouse implementation a plus
• Data migration experience with the source database to the target database mapping
• Experience with Azure technologies (Azure Data Factory, Azure SQL , Azure Synapse, Azure Data Lakes) is preferred.
• Proven skills in database design with multidimensional modeling a plus.
• Experience working directly with the business clients
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, particularly the ability to synthesize complex issues/scenarios into easy-to-understand concepts.
• Demonstrated ability to work in ambiguous situations and across organizational boundaries
• Works closely with the business team, development team, analysis team, and the users to enhance quality and product delivered
• Responsible precisely communicating impact, status, priority, progress, and road blocks to management
• Provides guidance in terms of priority and ownership of issues and requests
• Recommends report improvements to enhance the user experience
• Requires a bachelor’s degree, preferably in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business, Mathematics, or related field.
• 5+ years of direct experience as a BI Developer
• Experience in managing software requests, projects, and internal customers
• Experience with every phase of the System Development Life Cycle
• Experience with being the technical liaison between the business users and development
• Experience with basic SQL query tools to extract information from databases (SQL Server) and source applications is desired
• Experience with Jira Software, Confluence, Concur, Azure DevOps, and SQL Reporting Services is a desired.
• 1 to 2 years of retail energy related experience is highly desired
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
• Good inter-personal skills combined with a willingness to listen
• Self-motivated, goal oriented, and possess the initiative to learn independently
• Analytical, advanced decision-making skills, and problem solving abilities
• Must demonstrate a positive, customer-focused attitude
• Must be well organized and detail oriented
• Ability to convey technical information in a clear and concise manner to other less technically oriented customers
• Ability to manage multiple duties at the same time
• Advanced Proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite and Office 365
Business Intelligence Technologies
• Microsoft SQL Server stack (Reporting Services, Integration services, Analysis Services, PowerBI, PowerView, PowerPivot)
Data Integration Tools
• SQL Server Integration Services with C# scripting
Relational Database Management Systems
• SQL Server
• MS Access
• Sitting and standing for long periods of time.
Calpine requires an individual who is newly hired into this position to be vaccinated for COVID-19 within the first 28 days of employment – if not already vaccinated prior to starting employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Calpine’s HR department after a decision has been made about whether or not to make you a conditional offer of employment. Calpine does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws requiring reasonable accommodation.