View job on Handshake
Report to: Renaissance Director of Peninsula Programs
Location: San Mateo, CA
Works with: Program Staff, Business Advisors, Community Stakeholders and Program Partners at Humboldt State University.
Classification: This is a full-time, exempt position.
Salary: $90k to $100k based on experience and qualifications.
Renaissance Entrepreneurship Center seeks a Center Director to take responsibility for managing the San Mateo County Small Business Development Center (SBDC) , a partnership between Renaissance and Humboldt State University funded by the U.S. Small Business Administration. The SBDC Center Director is responsible for managing and directing all functions of the SBDC. This position oversees staff and contract consultants, and is responsible for developing, implementing and evaluating programs designed to provide business advising and training to small business owners. Duties include fiscal management, grant and contract administration, and a high level of interface with the public. The Center Director will represent the SBDC program at a local and regional level within the economic development and business communities.
Note: During the current coronavirus pandemic, Renaissance is adhering to health and safety social distance protocols; all staff are currently working from home. As protocols are adjusted and the pandemic evolves, this position will be primarily based in San Mateo, California with frequent on-site visits to client business and partner locations.
- Plan, develop, implement, manage and evaluate the delivery of services to small businesses and entrepreneurs in the San Mateo County SBDC service area.
- Responsible for the attainment of San Mateo County’s SBDC’s annual performance objectives.
- Supervise, train and evaluate the performance of assigned staff and independent contractors serving as SBDC business advisors.
- Maintain stakeholder engagement with business and economic development partners, community organizations, and other resource providers to promote SBDC services.
- Recruit talent to meet the small business needs of our communities; develop and implement new programs that are responsive to the changing needs of small business in the region.
- Exercise good judgment in safeguarding confidential or sensitive information and adhere to high standards of confidentiality and honesty in all client interactions.
- Develop and implement an inclusive outreach plan for the San Mateo SBDC that reaches all eligible clients. Develop the language and cultural capacity of SBDC services to serve a diverse range of small business owners.
- Manage the Center budget and resource allocation in compliance with state and federal contract requirements.
- Negotiate agreements between SBDC and local partner entities.
- Attend regional SBDC meetings and partner events as the main representative of the San Mateo County SBDC.
- Communicate regularly and submit reports as required to the NorCal SBDC Lead Center.
- Effectively manage employee performance by consistently providing constructive feedback, taking a collaborative approach to employee development, and administering necessary training including evaluations and performance improvement plans. Hold the team accountable and ensure the organization’s core values and performance standards are met.
- Communicate and coordinate training of staff on changes or updates to San Mateo County SBDC policies or procedures. Develop training material that is responsive to staff and advisor needs.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated ability in building relationships and fund development that will result in successful programs that meet cultural and language needs of diverse business communities.
- Demonstrated ability in developing and delivering small business programs in low income, BIPOC, and historically excluded communities.
- Understanding of regional small business industry clusters aligned to program priorities including agriculture and manufacturing supply chains. Knowledge of supplier diversity and government contracting programs desired.
- Experience in working effectively with local community-based organizations representing business corridors and neighborhoods with a high percentage of underinvested businesses.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and deliver events, workshops, and training programs.
- Demonstrated ability to expand service delivery and develop program funding.
- Ability to prepare clear, concise and timely reports and correspondence.
- A strong commitment to providing excellent and inclusive service and promoting the mission of Renaissance and the San Mateo County SBDC.
- Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree in a business-related field and at least four years of professional experience in community financial development, business / nonprofit management, or small business ownership.
- Familiarity with the small business community and demonstrated understanding of the challenges and opportunities for small businesses and entrepreneurs in the San Mateo County region preferred.
- Understanding of small business financing and access to capital, including the role of CDFIs in community financial development.
- Demonstrated ability to manage budget and fiscal compliance.
- Proficiency in the use of business software applications e.g. MS Office, and web-based software platforms for service delivery and client relationship management.
- Passion and interest in speaking to sponsors, partners and community groups to build awareness and support of the San Mateo County SBDC’s mission.
- Able to work effectively as part of a management team and to provide leadership for SBDC staff.
- Plan, organize, prioritize and perform multiple tasks to perform job functions in an efficient manner.
- Must be willing to attend events and meetings as needed.
- Must be proficient and comfortable speaking to large and small groups of people.
- Prior direct business consulting, training or teaching experience is highly preferred.
- Prior experience working for a business technical assistance program, a non-profit, and/or federal or state grant program is preferred.
Salary and Benefits: Competitive salary range of $90-$100K based on experience and qualifications. Generous benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, 401K, paid time-off, holidays, and a wonderful team of colleagues and clients.
Application Process: Please send a cover letter and resume attn: Timothy Russell, Renaissance Peninsula Program Director, email@example.com . Please note “SBDC Center Director” as the subject line of your email. No telephone calls or personal inquiries please. Application Deadline: November 22, 2021 (position open until filled; applications reviewed on a rolling basis)
Renaissance Entrepreneurship Center believes in the dignity and rights of all persons. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusiveness with respect to age, AIDS/HIV status, ancestry, color, creed, disability, domestic partner status, ethnicity, gender identity, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status and physical abilities.