At Kiewit, one of our guiding principles on every projects and in every office is, “Nobody Gets Hurt” and we’re currently looking for a Safety Specialist who will create, support and audit our programs which reinforce our commitment to safety.
As a Safety Specialist, you’ll be part of a team implementing and overseeing the Project Safety Program including the development of site safety policies and procedures. You’ll assist in monitoring the activities of construction projects, insuring the facility’s compliance with pertinent governmental regulations, company policies and procedures. You’ll assist in determining the cause of unsafe conditions and injury claims through procedure, equipment, facilities inspection and worker observation. Providing corrective action recommendations and assisting in implementing metrics for tracking and reporting on performance issues will also fall within your responsibilities.
Kiewit Power Constructors: Kiewit Power Constructors (KPC) provides direct-hire construction services for Power Generation utilizing a union craft force. Kiewit Power Constructors builds major EPC power plant projects throughout North America.
All of Kiewit Power is committed to Kiewit’s “Nobody Gets Hurt” Philosophy.
This position will be located on one of our project sites. Candidate must be open to traveling and relocating as needed.
• Assist in the development, review, updating, and communication of the SSSP to everyone including subcontractors
• Collaborate with the craft every day in the field to encourage buy-in of our safety program and to support craft ownership of the safety program
• Exercise Stop Work Responsibility to ensure adherence to company policies, regulations, work plans, work packs, and detailed work plans
• Plan, prioritize, and problem-solve with operations in the field every day based on leading indicator trends and upcoming work
• Encourage, support, inspire, and advise staff and craft employees to execute the SSSP
• Assist with maintaining project files in compliance with OSHA/MSHA regulations and in compliance with our policies including accident/injury files
• Assist with first aid and maintain relationships with emergency medical services and clinics
• Assist with KieTrac entry, incident investigations, and implementation of effective solution
• Complete a daily documented hazard inspection and assist operations, craft, and subcontractors with implementation of corrective actions
• Review work plans, work packs, and detailed work plans prior to the start of work
• Assist and provide safety training on policies, procedures, OSHA/MSHA, NCCER, SIMS, orientation, and client specific requirements
• Degree in Occupational Health and Safety, Environmental Safety, or a related field of study is preferred
• 0-2 years of construction safety experience
• OSHA 30 and First Aid CPR preferred
• The ability to travel and relocate as required
• Knowledge of construction safety, current Federal and OSHA requirements
• Working knowledge of computers and experience with Microsoft Word and Excel
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Good attention to detail, with the ability to recognize discrepancies
• Strong work ethic – Willing to do what it takes to get the job done
• The ability to work independently as well as part of a team
• Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environment
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.