Campbell & Company, a tenured pioneer in absolute return investment management, specializing in systematic and quantitative strategies, is seeking to fill an opening in Research with a primary focus on risk management research and support. We are considering candidates at both the junior level (i.e., a research analyst) and senior level (i.e., a senior researcher).
Primary Purpose of the Position
The Research Analyst/Researcher is primarily responsible for supporting research studies by conducting data and statistical analyses under the direction of his/her manager in developing new strategies and risk management methods that improve the firm’s ability to deliver strong risk-adjusted absolute and relative returns. The Research Analyst/Researcher works on all aspects of a research project, including data preparation, coding, analysis and presentation. The Research Analyst/Researcher is also responsible for monitoring production portfolios and resolving production issues.
Strategy/Risk Method Development (75%)
· Implement quantitative and qualitative analysis to develop new systematic strategies or risk management methods
· Develop strong industry and analytical knowledge to help identify new systematic strategies or risk management methods
· Become effective user of in-house processes, such as data, software and reporting platforms
· Work with other teams and outside vendors as needed (e.g., explore new data sources and usage)
Production Support (25%)
· Monitor risk and performance of production models and portfolios
· Analyze and propose solutions to production issues
· Masters in a quantitative discipline (e.g., Finance, Physics, Math), or a Bachelor degree with related industry experience (e.g., summer internship)
· Interest in financial markets and investment concepts
· Broad knowledge of quantitative methodologies (e.g., statistics, optimization)
· Proficient in analyzing data with mathematical software such as Python, R, or Matlab
· Ability to effectively communicate ideas and results in both written and verbal form
· Self-motivated, well organized, intellectually curious, and possessing an acute attention to detail
· Ability to work with limited direction
· Ability to collaborate effectively with team members and contribute to team’s deliverables
· Ability to operate with a sense of urgency in a fast-paced environment
· Demonstrated knowledge or prior experience in systematic risk management or investment in futures, derivatives or individual stocks
· Strong background in finance and economics
· Graduate degree (Masters or Ph.D.) in a related field
· Leadership skills with success in team-oriented environment
The position is expected to be based out of the Baltimore, Maryland headquarters office; however, the option for remote work may be possible for a Senior Researcher candidate with solid work experience, particularly if they have worked remotely in the past.
Reports to Chief Risk Officer, Dr. Grace Lo
The position will report to our Chief Risk Officer, Grace Lo, PhD. Dr. Lo joined Campbell & Company in February 2006 and currently serves as Chief Risk Officer. Dr. Lo leads the Risk and Portfolio team in Research and is also a member of the firm’s Investment Committee. Her current role is to provide analytically-driven guidance on model allocation decisions as well as oversee development of the firm’s portfolio and risk management processes. Dr. Lo serves on the advisory board for the Applied Math and Statistics Department at Johns Hopkins University. She is a member of Baltimore’s Women in Investment Leadership group, an active professional network committed to support women in finance. Prior to joining Campbell, she worked as project manager for ICF Consulting where she advised U.S. and international clients on energy issues and developed sophisticated pricing models for gas and electricity. Dr. Lo received a B.S. in Applied Mathematics from Brown University and a Ph.D. in Optimization from Johns Hopkins University.
Why Campbell and Company?
Campbell & Co. (‘Campbell’) is a leading systematic investment manager that specializes in applying unique macroeconomic insights in a multi-style, quantitative investment framework. As an industry pioneer, Campbell has analyzed the relationship between macroeconomic drivers and asset prices to identify and exploit opportunities that are further refined with reference to trend following, systematic macro, short term, and quantitative equity strategies. Two thirds of staff are investment professionals, with 40% having been at Campbell for ten years or more. We believe that the long tenure of our staff is a testament to our culture, our competitive benefits, and the work-life balance we offer to all of our associates. Our culture is best defined as academic collaboration built on a foundation of meritocracy. This allows us to obtain better results as a team without losing sight of the need to reward individual contributions.
We recognize that producing the best work and maintaining the best talent includes putting an overall premium on the overall wellness of our people. Campbell employees have access to an array of engagement activities, community involvement & volunteer opportunities, tuition reimbursement, and fitness reimbursement.