The Applied Economics Clinic (AEC) has an open position for a qualified Researcher who is interested in working with public interest clients (environmental and social advocacy groups and agencies) on research related to the intersection of economics, energy, environment, and equity. AEC offers a collaborative work environment that seeks to continuously train the next generation of technical expert witnesses and analysts, while providing accessible, low-cost services to its clients and promoting diversity in our field. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented groups in energy and environmental fields to apply.
Researcher job description
AEC is a mission-based non-profit consulting group providing services (e.g., analysis, modeling, testimony, public reports, etc.) in the areas of energy, climate, environment, and social equity. As an AEC Researcher, you will be responsible for project management, conducting research, and providing expert analysis for our clients. As a small non-profit, AEC staff is also responsible for assisting with administrative duties as needed.
Tasks and responsibilities for a Researcher include:
• Manage several concurrent projects, which includes client communications, project planning and budgeting, delegation of tasks, and meeting deadlines (30%)
• Organize and analyze data using Excel (25%)
• Write reports, policy briefs, and other deliverables as needed for projects (25%)
• Assist with internal organizational needs including invoicing, website upkeep, and other critical administrative tasks shared by all employees (5%)
• Identify and respond to requests for proposals (RFPs) related to AEC’s areas of expertise (5%)
• Attend meetings and conferences with AEC staff, clients, and other experts (5%)
• Lead trainings to advance in skill and knowledge for AEC staff members (5%)
AEC is looking for a candidate with a Master’s degree in a related field (e.g., economics, engineering, science) and experience or interest in the areas of energy, environment, or social equity. Please review our mandatory and desired qualifications below and note that we do not necessarily eliminate applicants who do not check all our boxes; the ideal candidate is enthusiastic about AEC’s work and mission and ready to learn. We are specifically looking for candidates that see value in a good work-life balance and are passionate about serving the needs of our public interest clients. This is a full-time position—only applicants who can work full-time will be considered.
AEC has been transitioning between a remote and hybrid office over the last two years; this transition is still in progress.
Applications received by July 8, 2022 will receive first consideration, but applications received after July 8 will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
• Master’s degree in a related field (e.g., economics, engineering, science); plus work experience in an office setting
• Experience with project management
• Strong quantitative skills
• Excellent technical and popular audience writing skills
• Fluency in Microsoft Office applications, especially Excel
• Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and manage time well
• Ability to work collaboratively, sharing tasks, knowledge, and workspace with colleagues
• Willingness to learn and use feedback to improve
Desired (but not required) qualifications:
• PhD degree in a related field (e.g., economics, engineering, science)
• Experience working on climate, energy, environment, consumer issues or equity issues, particularly in a research and/or consulting capacity
• Experience in statistics, modeling, and/or other forms of quantitative analysis; energy modeling (e.g., EnCompass) experience is especially useful
Salary and benefits at AEC:
• 35-hour work week
• 8 weeks time off (includes sick-time and holidays)
• Generous paid family and medical leave
• Short- and long-term disability insurance
• Life insurance
• HRA health benefits
• IRA retirement benefits
• Emphasis on teamwork and mentorship
• All staff members’ viewpoints considered in decision-making; staff representation on organization’s Board of Directors
• Depending on the applicant’s specific qualifications, minimum starting salary of $66,000-$72,000 with an expected increase in 9 months—pending performance reviews—to $84,000-$90,000
To apply, please send the following materials to email@example.com:
• A cover letter; including where you saw this job ad and why you want to work at AEC
• CV or resume
• A writing sample that shows your ability to translate technical material into writing for a general audience
• An Excel spreadsheet sample that shows your skills in organizing data using formulas and creating data visualizations such as tables and/or figures
• The names, contact information, and relationship to you of three references who can speak to how well you fit these qualifications.