The Research Engineer is responsible for performing and analyzing research across various disciplines, working with engineers to conduct complex engineering testing and analyses, designing and implementing new standards, protocols, processes and equipment and providing technical reports and presentations to assist in planning and direction.
- Essential Functions*Development and use of analytical procedures, component and/or full scale vehicle testing
- Conduct research relating to a wide variety of motor vehicle safety issues
- Perform design analyses of motor vehicle safety systems
- Make independent and competent technical decisions
- Support collaborative investigations, proposal development and application for grants. Seek funding opportunities for promising R&D work that advances TRC’s strategic desires for competency development and technical credibility across the automotive industry.
- Develop proposals, budgets, work plans, technical papers, task schedules, and test and/or research reports.
- Help extend TRC’s technical credibility with current customers and develop new opportunities.
- Prior experience and participation in technical committees preferred.
- Collaborate with industry and academic partners in areas that strategically grow the value of TRC’s services to provide a one-stop shop for our customer’s verification needs while helping our internal team develop strategic capabilities in domains that include:
- Vehicle Emissions, Energy, & Fuel Efficiency
- Occupant Protection
- Active Safety & Automated Driving
- Vehicle Connectivity
- Automotive Fuels and Lubes
- Reliability and Accelerated Life Testing
- Vehicle Dynamics
- Virtual Testing and Simulation
- Vehicle Aerodynamics and Aeroacoustics
- Automotive Design and Manufacturing
*TRC Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and is willing to make a change or adjustment to a job or work environment that allows a qualified individual with a disability to satisfactorily perform the essential functions of a particular job.
**Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- Other Duties and Responsibilities (Non-Essential Functions)Completion of customer support in a timely, error-free and competitive manner
- Work in a team and independently to reach technical project goals
- Critically evaluate and correct deficiencies in technical proposals, plans, and reports
- Attend professional society and technical committee meetings
- Support TRC Inc.’s Quality and EH&S (Environmental, Health, and Safety) efforts
- Complete projects on-time, on-budget and on-strategy.
- Provide regular updates to management on key project performance metrics.
- QualificationsBachelor’s or Master’s Level degree in engineering or appropriate comparable discipline
- Prior industry or transportation research experience preferred
- Technical knowledge to solve tough substantive, work-related problems
- Strong communication skills
- Proficiency in technical writing
- Skilled in handling multiple projects
- Excellent computer skills including word processing and data analysis software
- Proficient in managing projects
- Demonstrated history of technical leadership preferred
- Ability to work well with diverse backgrounds, from test drivers with HS equivalent education, hands-on mechanics, administrative personnel, advanced-degreed engineers and university professors.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Visio).
- Working conditionsStandard office, climate controlled environment
- Physical requirementsMust be able to remain in a stationary position for an extended period of time
- Ability to operate a computer and other office equipment
- Ability to communicate with customers and co-workers
It is the policy of TRC Inc. to provide equal opportunity in all areas of employment practices, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation (LGBTQIA+), veteran status, or any other reason prohibited by law.