Title: Research Data Scientist
Responsible to: President
Location: Burlington, Vermont (or full remote)
ISciences, L.L.C. is a Michigan based limited liability corporation founded in 1997 with operations in Burlington VT, Ann Arbor MI, Asheville NC, and Washington DC. We believe in the power of evidence-based analysis to understand vulnerabilities and achieve sustainability in a rapidly changing world. Our core strength is the ability to integrate expertise in the physical sciences, the social sciences, and information technology to solve our customers’ problems.
ISciences provides strategic, scientific, and technical consulting services to a variety of government, commercial and non-profit clients. Our contributions influence policy decisions at some of the world’s largest companies and at the highest reaches of government. ISciences has four principal areas of practice: Water and Climate, Corporate Sustainability, Remote Sensing, and Human Security.
Summary of Position:
The Research Data Scientist in this position will use quantitative analytical techniques to assess the impact of surface water anomalies on people, agriculture, and industry; the impact of large-scale hazards on electricity consumption; and, to forecast political instability.
- Develop analytical methods and workflows to monitor and forecast surface water anomalies worldwide.
- Develop machine learning models to assess the impact of surface water anomalies on people, agriculture, and industry.
- Develop machine learning models to assess the impact of large-scale hazards such as droughts, floods, heatwaves, cold snaps, and earthquakes on electricity consumption.
- Develop machine learning models to forecast major episodes of conflict and political instability worldwide.
- Integrate and curate data from a variety of sources, formats, and disciplines into coherent databases.
- Write compelling documentation and analytical reports for decision makers.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in environmental science, physics, computer science, mathematics, statistics, or related discipline.
- Demonstrated interest in and ability to present complex quantitative information in compelling written and oral form.
- Demonstrated interest in global environmental and climate change.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate data from a variety of sources, formats, and disciplines into coherent databases.
- Demonstrated ability to develop statistical models using R, Python, C++, and related languages using a wide variety of machine learning and statistical methods including structural time series analysis, geospatial statistics, automated feature selection algorithms (e.g., spike and slab, LASSO/elastic nets), random forests, and neural networks.
- Demonstrated ability to implement reusable and self-documenting R and/or Python packages
- Demonstrated interest and ability to create software programs to perform operations that are not directly supported in industry standard software packages.
- Demonstrated capability to write compelling documents and presentations of complex scientific information for decision-makers.
Compensation: Competitive salaries and benefits, with flexible work schedules.
ISciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer