Drs. Matthew Churpek, MD, PhD, and Majid Afshar, MD, MS, of the University of Wisconsin Churpek/ Afshar Data Science Lab, are seeking a post-doctoral research associate to contribute to cutting-edge research in the field of health informatics with a focus in health outcomes, applied machine learning, and high-throughput phenotyping.
The individual will use computational methods for representing and analyzing data from the electronic health record for clinical applications to improve health outcomes in hospitalized patients. The diversity of subject matter will require a multidisciplinary candidate with a background in machine learning, statistics, health information technology, and data management to derive and validate clinical decision support tools for the electronic health record. We are looking for a candidate who could fill a Deep Learning subspecialty in our lab.
The Research Associate will be expected to lead manuscripts and participate in multicenter collaborations under close mentorship by a multidisciplinary team of physician-scientists, clinical informatics experts, biostatisticians, and computer scientists.
- PhD degree in computer science/engineering, information science, computational linguistics, biomedical informatics, biostatistics, data science, or a closely related field;
- Experience in research; ability to plan and carry out research experiments and projects in the clinical arena.
- Experience in the field area of deep learning. Additional experience in medical terminologies/ontologies is strongly encouraged.
- Strong programming experience (e.g., Python, Java, R, SAS).
- Strong written and oral communication skills required.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team player.