View job on Handshake
The Institute for Defense Analyses (IDA) is a non-profit Federally Funded Research and Development Center. IDA provides answers to questions posed by the Department of Defense and other agencies that require careful analysis. IDA’s goal is to deliver objective, evidence-based, actionable analyses and advice focused on results. The Information Technology and System Division (ITSD) focuses on cybersecurity and other cyberspace challenges of national and global significance. ITSD approaches the growing cyber threat from the perspectives of operations and business, technology and systems, and policy and law, with a particular emphasis on where and how these perspectives intersect. This intersection, also known as “cyber in the seams,” addresses the evolution of cyber as a national security function. #ITatIDA
ITSD has an immediate opening for a Research Associate (RA). RAs are members of our full-time professional staff and typically work as members of study teams and at the direction of senior study leaders and analysts. RAs will generally perform fact-finding tasks; develop preliminary analyses, and shape findings and recommendations for the team. RAs are expected to be familiar with standard information collection, compilation, summary and analysis methods; able to develop or apply appropriate methods to support the needs of particular studies or analyses; demonstrate strong communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills; and have the ability to contribute effectively to a team approach to problem solving. Duties include:
- Participate in developing and maintaining information sources and contacts as directed; may attend meetings to collect information related to projects.
- Research topics independently, compile data, and present information both orally and in writing.
- Interact with government or industry representatives.
- Contribute to the creation/writing of task report(s) or paper(s).
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Data Science, Physics, Computer Engineering, Cyber Security, Economics, Mathematics, or an inter-disciplinary program that encompasses several of these fields of study.
- Individuals with a doctoral degree will not be considered for this opportunity.
- Demonstrated ability to identify sources, assemble, and organize large, complex data sets for which subsequent quantitative and qualitative analyses is desired.
- Ability to obtain and maintain necessary security clearance.
- Successful completion of a criminal background check is required.
Effective October 11, 2021, all current and newly hired IDA employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have been granted a medical or religious exemption. Individuals who accept employment with IDA will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated or receive approval for a medical or religious accommodation prior to starting employment.
U.S. Citizenship is required
Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance is required