Effective October 11, 2021, all current and newly hired IDA employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have been granted a medical or religious exemption. Individuals who accept employment with IDA will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated or receive approval for a medical or religious accommodation prior to starting employment.
The Institute for Defense Analyses (IDA) operates three Federally Funded Research and Development Centers supporting federal decision making – two serving the Department of Defense (DoD) and one serving the Office of Science and Technology Policy in the Executive Office of the President of the United States. IDA assists the United States Government in addressing important national security issues, particularly those requiring scientific and technical expertise.
The Science and Technology Division (STD) of the Institute for Defense Analyses (IDA) has an immediate need for a Research Analyst. The scientists and engineers in STD offer insight into technology trends and the impact of scientific advances on national security missions by bringing rigor to scientific assessments and by providing independent perspectives on technology risks and mitigation strategies.
The Science and Technology Division at IDA provides research and analysis on a wide variety of scientific and technical problems that overlap with issues of national security. The Division conducts technology assessments critical to planning and implementing research and development programs, supporting acquisition decisions, understanding foreign technology capability, and utilizing technology for individual and group training.
In this role, the researcher will support the U.S. government in developing and evaluating platforms, mission systems, and emerging technologies, such as land-, air-, sea-, or space-based sensing systems, electrical and hybrid power systems, and/or communication systems. The ideal candidate is a researcher with extensive experience in their field, but one that is also interested in, and capable of, supporting the full spectrum of projects within STD. Applied math skills and computer programing skills will expand the range of work opportunities.
- A Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Engineering Science, Applied Math, or related field and three years of experience or a Master’s degree and equivalent experience.
- Proven record of research and accomplishment in their field.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of small project teams.
- Experience with programming languages and environments. Experience in Python, R, Stata, Mathematica, and/or MATLAB is highly desired. A strong mathematical background is also highly desired.
- Experience working in an industry or government setting on design, analysis, testing, or qualification of platforms, electric systems, power systems, or other subsystems is highly desired.
- At least three years of post-graduate work experience (via DoD research organizations, academic research, industry, or fellowships/post-doctoral) performing any combination of the following:
- Developing and implementing design, test, or research plans for platforms or platform subsystem Selecting appropriate methodologies and analytic tools for research
- Developing and deploying data collection and analysis strategies including those involving novel data sources or sensors and those involving literature reviews
- Implementing software appropriate to the research problem (e.g., statistical analysis, engineering modeling software, machine learning tools, database management tools)
- Scoping and executing projects for the Department of Defense and other government agencies
- Communicating effectively with research sponsors in designing studies and disseminating results
- Directing junior research associates
- 5 years of prior experience in the DoD science and technology enterprise is highly desired, as is experience with project management and directing junior research staff.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment background check is required.
U.S. Citizenship is required
Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance is required