The Institute for Defense Analyses (IDA) is a non-profit federally funded research and development center think tank. IDA provides answers to questions posed by the Department of Defense (DoD) and other agencies that require careful analysis. IDA’s goal is to deliver objective, evidence-based, actionable analyses and advice focused on results. The Information Technology and Systems Division (ITSD) focuses on cybersecurity, other cyberspace challenges of national and global significance, and information technologies such as artificial intelligence, communications, and microelectronics. ITSD approaches the growing cyber threat from the perspectives of operations and business, technology and systems, and policy and law, with a particular emphasis on where and how these perspectives intersect. This intersection, also known as “cyber across the seams,” addresses the evolution of cyber as a national security function
ITSD is hiring for a Research Analyst focused on artificial intelligence, machine learning, natural language processing (NLP), and data science. Research Analysts are highly qualified, self-starting professionals sought to advise DoD officials and selected audiences on cybersecurity challenges of national and global significance. Research Analysts are expected to develop the broader context (the big picture) for problems facing mid-level managers, senior executives, and military officials across the Federal government. Research Analysts are required to identify key components, while creating and executing appropriate analytic methodologies, and clearly conveying their findings to specialists and non-specialists alike. The position requires strong communication skills, and the candidate must be able to speak and write effectively, think analytically, and work independently.
- A PhD in Computer Science, Information Systems, Cyber Security, Data Science, Engineering, Physics, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Operations Research, National Security, or Political Science/Public Policy coupled with experience in research, systems analysis/ engineering, or cyber policy analysis; OR
- A Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Cyber Security, Data Science, Engineering, Physics, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Operations Research, National Security, or Political Science/Public Policy coupled with 10+ years’ experience in research, systems analysis/ engineering, or cyber policy analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team to develop AI/ML solutions to help address critical national and global challenges in areas like natural language processing (NLP) and computer vision.
- Desire and willingness to engage in full R&D life cycle from planning, research, and development to deploying and administering software solutions at government sites.
- US citizenship is required.
- Successful completion of a criminal background check is required.
- Knowledge of deep learning and machine learning frameworks such as TensorFlow, Keras, PyTorch, and scikit-learn.
- Use of modern software engineering practices to develop AI/ML software.
- Experience with search engine technologies such as Solr or Elasticsearch.
- Knowledge of data engineering and big-data technologies (Spark, Hive, Hadoop).
Effective October 11, 2021, all current and newly hired IDA employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have been granted a medical or religious exemption. Individuals who accept employment with IDA will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated or receive approval for a medical or religious accommodation prior to starting employment.
U.S. Citizenship is required
Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance is required