Position Type: Internship
Compensation Type: Unpaid
About the Alliance:
The Alliance for Children’s Rights is a nonprofit organization that provides free holistic legal services and advocacy to youth and families impacted by child welfare and juvenile justice systems in Los Angeles County and works to enact policy changes statewide. Our lawyers, advocates, and social workers, together with hundreds of pro bono attorneys and community volunteers, work to ensure that those we serve have the tools to overcome barriers to stability and success, and access to education, healthcare, and financial supports that they need. Since 1992, we have helped over 150,000 children.
The Alliance is actively recruiting a policy intern for its challenging 10-week summer program. The policy intern works closely with the policy team and with staff across various programs to advance the Alliance’s legislative agenda, contribute to impact litigation, and assist in efforts to implement systemic reform.
All students in our summer program receive rigorous training on child welfare laws and client intake. In addition, the policy intern’s work may include:
- Research and analysis on issues related to complex legislative and policy proposals/reforms for a variety of audiences including legislative staff, agency staff, and the public
- Review and draft written comments and/or testimony on pending legislation, regulations, and other state and county policies (e.g. ordinances, All County Letters)
- Assist in the development of position papers, policy briefs, fact sheets, training materials, and advocacy tools
- Assist in the development of trainings and training materials
Qualifications & How to Apply:
- Cover letter must indicate why student is interested in policy/advocacy
- Cover letter must indicate first available start date and confirm availability between 9am-5:30pm PST Monday-Friday.
- The internship is unpaid, but we can sponsor course credit for students.
- The summer 2022 preferred program dates are May 23 – July 29. No split schedules considered.